Logo

Replacing impeller on 1978 OMC 185

rolltacoruiz

I'm trying reomved the low

I'm trying reomved the lower unit to get the impeller. First did I start in the right place to remove the impeller. secound how do I remove the shift housing from the lower unit I've already removed the bolts that hold it to the lower unit?

Depending on the model drive t

Depending on the model drive the impeller could be under the cover on the top of the drive.

"I am afraid You have started

"I am afraid You have started in the wrong end, the impeller is in the upper unit!
Take off the drive, do not forget the shift cable.
Take off the top cover of the drive, unhook the cable from the rear spring, and lift upp the upper unit.
Turn it upside down (oil will get out if You have not drainet it), and unscrew the 4 screws. According to the book it is no just to pull out the pump assy. Unfortunately You may (will!!) run into some corosion problems and will probably have to use some different tools to manage to tap/pry it out, shaft and housing as one unit!"

"From were and how should I re

"From were and how should I remove the cable. This is my first time doing this so any help would be nice. I guess since I have the lower unit off with the shift harnest still attached, How do I disconnect shift cable from the lower unit."

"On port side inside the boat

"On port side inside the boat You see the cable comming throught he transom. Disconnect the two clips, tak off the retainer on the outside holding it to the transom and pull it out. Do not break it - it is expencive!
To get the drive off:
Unscrew the side covers where the drive tilts, pry off the rubber stopps, tilt the drive out 5-10 degrees, unscrew the bolts behind the rubber stops, remember to support the drive with some wood or similar under the fin. Lift off the drive."

Back