Logo

Merc 30 rebuild question

scottterry

I just bought a 85 Sea Ray wit

I just bought a 85 Sea Ray with the 3.0. The motor has a spun bearing. This is my first Marine endeavir and I was wondering should I order my rebuild kit .30 piston and .10 mains or should I wait until I have the motor torn down before I order the kit.

"Not sure what your confidence

"Not sure what your confidence level is with engine rebuilds, but it may be cheaper to buy a short block (assembled engine less head).

If you are prepared to rebuild (diagnose cause of bearing failure, hot tank and align hone block, etc... I would tear down before buying bearings, etc. Just thoughts. D"

I was leaning that way. I have

I was leaning that way. I have always torn down prior to buying kits when rebuilding auto engines. So that is probabably the way i will go. Thanks for the reply

you might price short blocks.

you might price short blocks. Pretty cost effective to stuff one in and go boating that afternoon!

"I've got the same trouble

"I've got the same trouble with my Merc 165 and I'm having the crankshaft welded and ground. The problem with doing this is that if the welder isn't VERY, VERY careful, the crakshaft will loose its strength and break at the welded area. However, it's far less expensive than replacing my crank, which prices out at $1000+"

Back