Logo

230 hp 8 cyl port inboard cuts out at 15002400 rpm

pakman

"I've replaced Rochester C

"I've replaced Rochester Carb, fuel pump,filter/separator, distributer cap,rotor,& sensor. I noted the - post on the coil measured 12 volts when last cut out( before ignition switch was turned off. When it is running it is
smooth no misfires. Starboard engine is perfect."

"Is there a fuel filter BEFORE

"Is there a fuel filter BEFORE the fuel pump? If so, that can cuase this problem since, if the filter is dirty, the fuel pump can't suck gas through it without vaporizing the gas--and vaporized gas doesn't pump. Strainer/ water separators (coarse particle removers) can go before a fuel pump, but filters (fine particle removers) should only be located AFTER the fuel pump.

Jeff

PS: I get a lot of 'heat' on this subject from people telling me their beloved boat has a "bunch of filters before the fuel pump" and it runs "just fine". Sure, until they get a load of crud in the gas they just laid out 4 bucks a gallon for. All of a sudden their motors start running lean and backfiring; soon a hole appears like magic in a piuston or two. "But, it alwyas ran fine before..." Russian roulette, with 5 bullets in the chamber."

There is no filter before the

There is no filter before the fuel pump. I also removed the fuel pink up tube and it was good. there is a ball berring check valve in line. I put a fuel pressure guage in line at the carborator and it read 10- 15 psi.I am leaning toward an electrical problem.

Back