Logo

1986 Transom Seal

J

John Mason

"I noticed today that I have a

"I noticed today that I have a tear in the transom seal below the drive unit
angry.gif
. The seal is in good condition... except for this tear.

I had it out yesterday and didn't notice a significant amount of water from the bilge... is there some way that this tear can be "patched" or repaired.

Maybe something temporary to get us through the season?"

"The Cobra's came in 86 an

"The Cobra's came in 86 and has no visible transom seal. Is it an older 400/800 stringer?
If so, temporary repair is not to be recomended. If anything happends Your insuance company would not be too happy. However I have seen them patched up with everything fron duct tape to bicyle repair kit and sikaflex, but nothing has been lasting very long."

"The hull ID says it's an

"The hull ID says it's an '86... but the drive is a stringer 400 drive.

I'll try one of your suggestions to see if it'll get me through the season... and keep a hand ready for the bilge pump!

Thanks!
proud.gif
"

Engine/drive probably produced

Engine/drive probably produced 81/82. OMC and some boat builders had a huge stock when they closed down production of the stringers and were ready to launch the Cobra. They held back the Cobra introduction a couple of years just to get rid of the old stock. I do not think You will find any OMC stringers between 1982 and 86.

"I hate to disgree but stringe

"I hate to disgree but stringers were produced right up to 1985 if you can find the model # plate on your engine, just match up the last 3 characters with one of these sets

CIF, CIS 1981
CNC, CNG 1982
CTR 1983
CRA, CRJ 1984
COM, COK 1985"

"Thanks for the info, then we

"Thanks for the info, then we just did not get the last models to Europe (Norway)."

"Actually Morten one of the si

"Actually Morten one of the sites I use for reference is in Europe, maybe you've seen it before but here is a link to it anyway, when you get there just click on the Modellguide tab (upper right) and then whatever manufacturer or years you want to see. I can't read the text on this site but numbers are numbers.http://www.marinshopen.se/"

"Browsed thru it, the model ye

"Browsed thru it, the model year info on the stringers was almost what they had of interest. Sweden was never big in any OMC except some sail-drives due to quite a big sail boat production. However when it comes to Volvo parts there are a lot available, but on better sites! But thanks for the info."

"Stringers were used into the

"Stringers were used into the 86 model year. I have seen both stringer and cobra for 86. Sometimes the gasket can be changed with out removing the drive, never done it but have heard of it. Your choice is simple. Change the gasket or learn to swim long distance."

Back