Logo

Replacement carb for 1997 57 Merc

N

Need Help

I have a 1997 5.7 Merc engine

I have a 1997 5.7 Merc engine in my boat and it is running too rich. My boat mechanic hates the carb in it (I think it is a AFB?) definetly not a holly or rochester. Any suggestions on a replacment or should I spend my time trying to re-jet it on my own.

Buy an Edelbrock 600 cfm MARIN

Buy an Edelbrock 600 cfm MARINE carb (Jegs or Summmit Racing on-line) and you'll never be sorry. It bolts right up but needs a wire to operate the electric choke. Any 'hot in run' source for the wire will do the trick.

Jeff

"OK, so I tore into my carb an

"OK, so I tore into my carb and here is what I found. I think it is a Carter, it has the #'s 9781s and 1147 on the base plate. The primary jets are 120 and the secondaries are 392?
Sooo, what size of carb is this, and could you give me a starting point for jetting. This is a 250HP 21' Rinker at an altitude of 5500'."

Drop down 2 numbers on the jet

Drop down 2 numbers on the jets to start. It should take three but each engine is different and you do not want to go to lean. The timing should be moved ahead 1/2 degree for every 1000ft not to exceed 12 degrees BTDC.
I have found this is a good starting point from factory jetting and timing.
I have been doing this at 82-8300ft a long time.
This is calibration work and there is not any set high altitiude numbers. To many factors. You need to install and test.

Back