Logo

1987 350 CRUSADERS SHUT OFF

R

Randy Law

"Have a strange problem..... I

"Have a strange problem..... I bought a 1987 Silverton 34X with twin 454 Crusader 350's. The port engine on any given day will just die. It happens at idle, or at cruising speed. It re-starts immediately, and may run fine for hours or days, or minutes, depending on what it feels like doing. I have changed the water/fuel separators, the engine fuel filter, the carb fuel filter, taken off the one rubber fuel hose, (still firm) blown it out (no debris), and checked the remaining steel lines for kinks or problems. The boat has one 250 gal fuel tank, and the starboard engine has never had a problem. Engines have 700 hrs on them, I'm the third owner. Boat did sit for two years out of the water, before I bought it. I have no idea what the previous owner had the marina do that brokered the boat, as far as lay up. I can go an entire weekend, with no problems, then in one evening it might shut down 5 times. Seems to be no pattern, or predictability. Always restarts immediately, and when it does die, it shuts off...no sputter or slow die.The boat is in fresh water, Lake Erie. Any help or ideas would be appreciated."

I'll bet the ignition swit

I'll bet the ignition switch is to blame. Do the gages flutter when this happens?

Jeff

"No, they don't flutter. T

"No, they don't flutter. The alarm comes on, the tach is at 0. I checked the engine schematics that came with the boat, & I see that there are 3 alarms for each engine. Water, oil & Transmission. If ground at any is broken (ei, broken wire or corroded end) the alarm sounds, and the engine shuts down. Ever heard of this being a problem? Going to be tough to trace because they sprayed the engine Crusader blue, including the wires."

Ugh! You might have to jump o

Ugh! You might have to jump out one sensor at a time until you see what's doing it to you.

Jeff

Back