Logo

50GLSX raw water pump dead

mavdog32

Burned up my last engine becau

Burned up my last engine because of broken apart impeller. New engine is in and running like a champ. Raw water pump is off the old motor but all new seals and impeller and screws are on it. I cannot get it to pull water sitting in the water or with muffs on it but i can when i hook the interior flush up. I have cleared the entire system from outdrive to impeller housing and backflushed just to make sure. PLEASE HELP!!

Looks like the pump may be suc

Looks like the pump may be sucking air. Is the water hose between the transom shield and the leg in good condition and securily clamped on each side?

"Learned this one the hard way

"Learned this one the hard way. Some of the early sx legs used a copper tube between the lower water pick up and the upper houseing where it then goes into the water pocket for delivery to the transome mounting hoses etc.
These copper tubes are no longer used because they rot out and will cause air to be avaiable to the suction side of the water delivery system.
Pull the leg , remove the upper houseing , remove the water transfer tube . good chance you found the problem.
Best luck
bj"

"Well when i take the intake h

"Well when i take the intake hose off of the housing, I put my hand up to it while the motor was running and there was no suction. SHouldn't I be able to feel a little bit of vacuum like at least 1 or 2 lbs?"

"If you have no vacuum you can

"If you have no vacuum you cannot have any suction. However, I'm afraid that if you have been running your engine without suction for a long period of time, your impeller is probably gone again by now. Two things I would do are: 1) open the pump and inspect the impeller; if it is in good condition, then 2) Disconnect the hose from the raw water pump suction side, then disconnect the hose from the leg. Flush everything with a garden hose and, if all clear, plug the end of the hose that connects to the leg and pressurize everything from the side of the hose that connects to the raw water pump so that you can check for leaks."

"first off thank you!! I took

"first off thank you!! I took apart the entire system when then first started happening and made sure there were no pieces. Maybe something just wasnt tightened enough. I will try this tomorrow, i have school tonight, and then if it doesnt work, Ill be back!! Oh yea and I always keep water in the hose from the thermostat side when the motor is running so I wont burn the impeller up."

Back