Logo

Losing drive oil

bobecke

My drive oil reservoir mounted

My drive oil reservoir mounted on the top of the engine seems to be losing a little oil. No oil seems to be leaking anywhere that I can see. It just goes down a little every time I use the boat. (5.7 Alpha 1 with 50 hrs. on it). Is this normal.

I'd say it is not normal.

I'd say it is not normal. Check the condition of the oil in the lower unit.
If there is any sign of water have it pressure tested to find where it is getting in.
50 hours is nothing for the stern drive so it should not have a problem. But if it is used in a area where it can pick up dirt or sand it may have damaged the seal under the water pump.
Then it may just have a loose clamp for the feed line from the oil tank.

"As I've said before, when

"As I've said before, when on full plane, only the very bottom of the drive is in the water. There is no provision for cooling of the upper unit. As the drive gets hot, the oil expands and is pushed out through the vent hole in the cap of the reservoir. The way to resolve the problem is by the simple use of a drive shower!"

"Here's a pic!<[img]"http:

"Here's a pic!
23390.jpg
"

"Well, I guess not everyone kn

"Well, I guess not everyone knows what that guy has said before. I didn't.
I wonder why merc didn't think about this if it was a problem?
Darn R&D guys must never get the drive hot I guess, so they did not know about it.
How long have they used this system?
Must be only a year or two because they would have fixed it after that. (been around ten years at least) Oil leaks are a big no no in anything.
Those merc guys must be to stupid to put a simple one way check valve in the oil feed line to cure such a problem. (let oil in but not out) If there was a problem to start with."

"I've had it on my boat fo

"I've had it on my boat for the last 3 years. One of the tell-tale signs is a white-chalky material on the drive after a hard run. After installing this, never had the problem again. I change the drive oil (synthetic) every 100 hours and it comes out like it went in!

If you want more info on this product, go to trickmarine.net. he has all the formulas posted to show how it works!"

Back