Logo

Repower redrive for older boat any help out there

doug

" Any suggestions out there fo

" Any suggestions out there for me. . bought a boat that needs too much work. . i just want to bring it up to working condition and have some fun with it.

>>>>hi. . i have a wellcraft nova 1974 that needs a repower and redrive. its currently and old 188 (888) mercrusier with old merc drive and both need major work. . i have decided to go newer if I can and will look at all options but need the complete package (complete engine/complete seals, transom assbly etc. . ) complete engine and complete outdrive with all the in betweens as well. . a local has said they suggest the following .. can get you more info if you like. .

Thanks,
Doug Miller

" I recommend changing your 888 to a 5.7l alpha 1 drop in with rebuilt drive and transom assy.
including everything you need to install the package ( gaskets etc. )

rebuilt 5.7l Mercruiser engine complete -
rebuilt Alpha 1 Transom Assy
rebuilt Alpha 1 Outdrive " "

" I had a boat I loved, but wi

" I had a boat I loved, but with a tired engine/outdrive package.... I sold it, and bought a brand new boat with brand new everything.. including brand new problems my old boat never had... I wish I had re-powered.
When I was a kid, the Wellcraft Nova from the mid-70's was my dream boat - overhaul the drives, or replace them with new Alpha 1's, but I do Not recommend rebuilding the engines, just replace them with new ones, they'll last far longer. "

" Just a thought,!... replace

" Just a thought,!... replace with New 5.7 alpha 1, you're looking at $10,000.+.....rebuilt 5.7 alpha 1 about 1/2 that, if no major problems with the donor driveline....rebuild what you have,? $2500.+(depends on how much You do yourself) the mod.1 drive that you have is a Good solid drive...But, i would dump the ford engine in favor of a chevy(better parts ava. etc.)... "

Back