Logo

50 Overheating

miki

I have a 1993 5.0 ford.omc. I

I have a 1993 5.0 ford.omc. I had the moter rebuilt 2 yrs ago. Including new exaust manifolds. New impeller and waterpump on moter. On the 19 ft. boat it will do 40mph+ It runs great EXCEPT it will overheat at slow speeds (no wake zones) At idle speed. When I get a chance to open it up the temp gauge will drop almost instantly. Any speed from aprox 8mph and faster the temp will stay in the safe range (175-225) I replaced the thermostat with no change. More than once I have shut down or stalled during the over heating stage and I had to sit in the water for about an hour to let things cool before I could get underway again. I seem to have good water flow at home with the garden hose. I can run all day in idle speed at home hooked up to the hose but as soon as I put it in the water in gear at idle speed I have about 5 min before every thing over heats.

Even though you had the water

Even though you had the water pump replaced it sounds as if it is going bad. Inspect the impeller. The hose will help the water get to the engine if the impeller is weak. Same a faster speed pushes water into the water pick up.

"1995 sea ray 7.4 overheating/

"1995 sea ray 7.4 overheating/running hot problem:
Runs fine at idle (About 130- 140 degrees)runs close to 200 to 210 when running it hard. (Alarm comes on).I put a freshwater system on it, rebuilt sea pump. I even took out the thermostat. Still runs hot when running it hard. It cools down when I idle it for a bit. Looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Rick"

Back