Logo

Water coming in

tswanson

"just went to the lake after p

"just went to the lake after picking the boat up from the shop. They said it had a bad block plug and replaced it. Got to the lake boat still on the trailer. 1978 26' Sea Ray with a 1992 7.4 Bravo II motor and out drive. Started the motor and the bildge started to take water on again, just like before it went to the shop. I think maybe the inlet hose from the out drive may be bad. Is this possible? I communicated this to the shop before and they did not check it. Needless to say it is back at the shop. I checked the oil and it was somewhat brown like a choclate milk. I am sure there must be water in the oil. It is not a real milky white. I ran the engine for around 15 minutes and it did not get worse, nor did the level on the dip stick increase as if more water was coming in. Last week it hydro locked due to bad riser gaskets. I replaced them with new gaskets and they do not appear to be leaking. please help. -Tim"

If you changed the oil after t

If you changed the oil after the riser repair then you are getting water in the oil from somewhere. May not be much but it is there. As for the water in the bottom of the boat. As you thought the water inlet / feed hose may have a hole or one of the manifolds has a problem.
It could also be a freeze plug gone bad. It may take a mirror under the engine to find the leak.

"I have not changed the oil ye

"I have not changed the oil yet. I will do that this week. I would assume if alot of water was coming in it would reflect that on the dip stick by getting higher. I have inspected all the freeze plugs and the block, all looks good. Could it be coming from around the tilt/trim manifold on the bottom of the out drive? This is getting real frustrating as summer is ticking by fast! Tim"

If this is only coming in when

If this is only coming in when the engine is running then the water line from the pump is where I'd start.

"I just hear a drip when the m

"I just hear a drip when the motor is off. I left it in slip for three weeks with no problem. The bildge pump would come on about once aday and pump out maybe a gallon, but when it is running there is alot of water. And I am sure it is not comeing from the block. Thanks Tim"

"Exhaust pipe? mine leaks abou

"Exhaust pipe? mine leaks about a gallon or 2 a day, But not when motor is running.
I filled my bilge up with water just a little to see where the water was coming out."

Back