Logo

Alpha I outdrive trim does not come down

R

Ron Cooke

"I have twin 3.7 165 mercruise

"I have twin 3.7 165 mercruiser engines on my 1987 Searay amberjack. The starboard outdrive will trim up but not down. When I press the down trim switch I hear a clicking sound. Does this sound like the in/down trim solenoid is bad? If so, where can I order the part and what are the steps to replace the part.

Thanks for your help..

Ron"

"take an box end wrench and to

"take an box end wrench and touch the both sides of the solenoid. try both up and down if it works on one but not the other the switch is bad. it may only be corrosion on the terminals though, like on a battery.
I have had luck with www.theshadconnection.com for replacement parts.

also make sure you have CLEAN fluid in the reservoir and that the filter screen does not have a clog."

Ron.
It does sound like the s

Ron.
It does sound like the solenoid. But it also sounds like the solenoid is working if it is clicking.
The cause could be the wire from the solenoid to the trim motor is not making a good connection and the motor is not getting any power.
Of course the solenoid may not be making the connection and just sounds as if it is working. Take a look at the connections and see if they are clean and tight.
If you have a small test light you can test the solenoid. Put one lead of the test light to ground and the other to the wire connection going to the trim motor from the solenoid. Operate the switch and see if the test light comes on.
If not replace the solenoid.
You can find the part at amarket.com as well as a manual on how to change it. This is not a hard job.

Back