Logo

All or nothing throttle

beatdaboat

"I have another problem. I ha

"I have another problem. I have a 1987 Mercruiser 3.7L 165. I took her out for a test on the water and there was a throttle problem. The motor would idle fine but when i gave her gradual gas, the motor bogged down and shut off. if I slammed it into full throttle, she got up and went just fine...so there was either all throttle or no throttle. timing was at just about 8 degrees.

Possible problems: Carb air/fuel mix
point gap
not sure what else could be wrong.

Anyone, please help...thanks."

"Your accelerator pump is not

"Your accelerator pump is not delivering a large enough shot of gas. Either it needs replacement, or adjustment. See if there are other holes in the pump lever to deliver a larger shot of fuel.

Jeff"

Jeff - sounds like the acceler

Jeff - sounds like the accelerator pump shot is what is getting this gent past the mid range and into the main jets. Gradual application of throttle (accelerator pump not in play and reliance on jets) causes the stumble. hmmm.

"I don't think it is the a

"I don't think it is the accelerator pump either. When I push the throttle forward quickly, you can see and hear that the pump is working and there is a nice stream of fuel coming from the mid range. I have been at a loss for quite a while. The boat works great for skiing...all or nothing but terrible for just going for a joy ride. I was thinking there might be something wrong with the dwell or something but the engine sounds good and the timing is just about dead on. It may be time to just go buy a new carb. let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys."

Back