Logo

Help 43LX with Alpha One Gen II engine pull

93regal

"Here's the deal. I belie

"Here's the deal. I believe I have to pull this engine, rebuild it with a long block, and replace the carb.
I can handle the engine stuff, but I don't have a clue how to remove the engine from the i/o unit.

Is it like a car?

Can I just disconnect from the bellhousing?

When I was a teen, I pulled my engines because it was fun, but I am afraid to touch this thing. I might screw something else up.

Boat - Regal 176SE
Motor- 4.3LX (262 chevy marine / weber carb)
I/O - Alpha One, Generation II
Prop - 13.5" 23 pitch

If there is a book that DETAILS the breakdown of the procedures involved, then great, I'll buy it. But I can't find it.

I welcome all responses, I don't care how hard replacing the engine is, I just want to do it.

If there is more information I need to give here, please let me know."

Do yourself a favor and buy Me

Do yourself a favor and buy Mercruiser manuals. There is a set of two for the engine and one for the drive. I've been under the hood of cars for 20 years and I always reference manuals when I haven’t done something before.

The job should be straight forward once you remove the drive (easy)... which pulls the input shaft out of the engine coupler. Then its a matter of detaching all the peripheral cables/hoses and lifting the power plant out.

I am also looking to replace t

I am also looking to replace the weber carb with a rebuilt R4/4MV Rochester. It was used on prevous year models of this engine (pre '93). I think the Weber 4bbl is shot and should be replaced/rebuilt.

"OK, I'll get the Mercruis

"OK, I'll get the Mercruiser manuals. I bought the Seloc online version, thinking that would give me the information I needed. Boy, was I wrong.

And you are saying that I CAN remove the engine from the bell housing? I understand that everything else comes off the engine first."

"Phillup, The "Bell housin

"Phillup, The "Bell housing" stays with the block. Pull the drive, disconnect all hoses, cables and wires. Remove front engine mount nuts, and the two 1/2 fine thread bolts which hold the bell housing to the engine. Don't loose the steel and felt washers, or the motor will not be aligned when reinstalled. You will need a 1/2 breaker bar, 1/2" socket wrench, a couple of long extensions and the correct socket(7/8"). You may also need a 7/8 box/open end wrench for the front motor mount nuts. Oh yea, muscles are mandatory to get those bolts loose."

Back