Logo

1976 Aristocraft with 120 hp Mercruiser FOLLOWUP Questions

D

dan Moriarty

"Thanks for all your help last

"Thanks for all your help last week, but I think Ill be needing much much more help. I got the boat back, and got these numbers of stamped plates throughout boat:
Rear of engine(closest to transom) serial# 4480275
Carb # 1351-7354
Quicksilver oill filter 14957
valve cover serial # 4524946
Outdrive (mercrusier 120) serial # 4524946 (same as valve cover serial #)

what do I need to ask for when ordering a tune up kit? what exact engine am I dealing with?\

Second, while moving wires aside to look at serial numbers i came across a brown wire, looked like an old lamp cord, in started off near the engine and continued through the transom wall.. well it broke apart in my hand. any clue to what this could be for? is this a MAJOR issue and should i try to figure this out BEFORE i change fluids etc?? also i need a throttle cable, do i order this for a aristocraft 19'? or do i order this under a mercruiser 120? again guys, thank you. As you can see, I am a clueless first time owner.. but thanks for helping me, ill get some pics of her to you when/if she finally runs.. you can email me at [email protected]"

Dan.
The wire is for the trim

Dan.
The wire is for the trim system. It is either the trim limit switch or the trim sender. One only lets the drive move so far without using trailer mode. The other is what tells the gauge the position of the drive.
When ordering parts for the engine and drive system use the number from the valve cover.
The throttle cable depends on what brand the cable is.

"Charli, is this something i c

"Charli, is this something i can patch some new wire into? or am i loooking at a new harness all together??>"

"charli, will the boat run WIT

"charli, will the boat run WITHOUT replacing this? or is on the same lines as a neutral safety switch?"

Brand new still in the package

Brand new still in the packages are Qucksilver Marine:

Trim Limit Switch Part # 805129A 3 and Housing Trim Sender Switch part # 805130A11. For Alpha One and Bravo/ Blackhawk Models.

is this what I need???

Dan.
Yes those sound like the

Dan.
Yes those sound like the parts needed. Repairing the wire is not a good idea. Reason is you can not tell the condition of the wire after it enters the transom.
These require the removal of the drive and gimble ring most of the time to install.
Expect to replace the bellows and gimble bearing if it has not been replaced in a while.
You also may need to replace the shift cable depending on how it comes out if you need to remove it.
The water feed hose may need replaced.
Once you start back there it is best to replace all of these parts. Then you are good for another ten years give or take.
I do think this is a job for someone with the tools and know how to do the job. It is not a easy repair.
If you have not done this before be careful.
The boat will work with out these trim senders but the trim will not work as it should.

"charli, do i have the alpha o

"charli, do i have the alpha one? the parts i listed are from ebay, and i dont want to buy them and have them not work on my specific boat.. again the serial # on the outdrive is 4524946."

Dan.
The drive is a alpha 1.

Dan.
The drive is a alpha 1.
But check amarket.com before you buy from eBay. I think you will find this to be a very good place for all the parts and tools needed for the repair.

"guess it is a pre-alpha, just

"guess it is a pre-alpha, just got an email from amarket.com saying so. and upon further investigation, the serial # is a pre-alpha or R will these wires still work?"

Dan.
Yes it is the same. This

Dan.
Yes it is the same. This drive crap gets confusing. Some call them by one name others know them by another. The parts for the models up to 85 will work on the drive.
Check the GLM 21950 gimble set at amarket. This is a very good price.

"Dan.
Yes. That is what the n

"Dan.
Yes. That is what the number I gave you is for.
Go to the bottom of thier cover page and click on GLM.
This will bring you to the bellows section.
Just look until you see the picture with all the bellows,gaskets and the bearing."

this looks like a fall/winter

this looks like a fall/winter project. how much time to do all of this? I assumed I would do the kit when i did the sensors since i was going to have the whole outdrive off anyway. are the specialty tools like the control remover and the pin remover wrth it? are the bellows gonan take forever??

"Dan.
This is a one day job a

"Dan.
This is a one day job at the most. That is everything that can go wrong does go wrong. Like the gimble bearing is frozen in,the pins will not come out,the bellows is stuck,the clamps will not come loose,the drive will not come off. On and on.
But if everything goes as it should it should not take more than 5 or 6 hours.
No tools come with the parts. It has been a few years since I did one but I think I had to make a tool to remove the bolt holding the trim sender wires. These are a lot of fun.
You also need to have the alignment bar to check the engine alignment after replacing the gimble bearing. I'll bet you thought this was a fake part when you first heard the name.
Anyway you do need some special tools for this job or it will not get done.
The new shift cable(you should replace this)needs to have the hole it mounts in re-tapped. The cabe has changed. There is a alignment bar for 65 bucks on amarket. I have not looked at what the other tools you will need cost. But amarket has the best price on tools I have found. They also will let you return them when you are done at a reduced price of course.
Dan if this boat has been used in salt water you are in for a lot of work.
If it hasn't it may not be to bad. But if none of this has been repaired since it was new it is still going to give you a hard time.
The guys at amarket will help walk you through the job if you have a problem. They are real good about that."

"you have been great, man we p

"you have been great, man we posted alot today.. no salt water, just lake water of southern maine. I am planning trying to run the boat as is, after dropping fluid etc.. then once the season is over i hope to have all parts, transom kit, trim senders, throttle and shift cables, as well as a good manuel and all specialty tools, like the alignment bar, alingment bar for putting outdrive back on, special pin remover and the nut to remove the shift cable to begin with.. looking at 400 in parts, 200 in manuals and specaly items.. boats aint cheap... but the boat was given to me for free, and engine looks great,.., so for less than a grand, i may ahve a good lil boat to use for a few years, and ill have lots of knowledge about boats, which i lack now.. thanks, ill post more questions or just email u them directly, thanks again.."

Back