Logo

1990 OMC COBRA 23 Liter Start Issues

• Thread starter Robert Niedosmialek
  • Start date
R

Robert Niedosmialek

I have a 1990 OMC 2.3L that re

I have a 1990 OMC 2.3L that refuses to start. No matter what test I perform I seem to get good results but still cannot get any spark out of the coil. Everything seems to die at the coil. I have 9.1v at the coil for juice and that seems to be with in the specs. Points seem fine. I have not replaced the condenser yet but I figured I am not even getting the coil to work so why go down that route when we it is broken futher up stream. Can any tell me where a good starting point for debugging and solving my engine start up problems would be (?

"When you say points seem fine

"When you say points seem fine, how do you know? If they aren't opening and closing as the shaft goes around you will never get a spark. Take the cap off and push it out of the way (remove hi voltage wire from coil too) and watch the points as you or someone cranks the engine, should see them open and close along with a small spark, this indicates the coil is charging or you could just touch the key until the points close and use a screwdriver to pry them open, if they are working you see a spark. If the condenser is shorted it will cause this and also the ESA could cause this, you can temporarily remove the ESA from the circuit by unplugging the 2 wire connector (Purple and Gray wires). Also you should have 12v at the coil when starting and then it drops to 8 or 9 when running. There are 2 circuits one goes through the resitor wire and the other goes directly."

Back