Logo

Prop question

"I just picked up another old

"I just picked up another old boat that has a miss-matched drive system. it has a merc 165 stern drive, but the in-line 6 is gone and an old iron duke 4 cyl. sits in its place. the boat does run, but i know little of prop pitch, and this has a 20degree 3 blade. what prop should i use to get the maximum performance?"

"Please don't take me as a

"Please don't take me as a professional because I'm far from it. I'd just like to guess on this one from what I have learned from stuff in here, then the pros can give you exact. I think you should be running a 19 or maybe even a 17 pitch prop and a 3 blade would be fine. I like the aluminum in case of hitting something, that way it only wrecks the prop and nothing else.

(Am I close guy?
)"

"thanks Lee-
I agree with th

"thanks Lee-
I agree with the aluminum prop, and the pitch of 17 was recommended to me with the same "don't quote me but..." So you are close I am sure.
When I go looking for a prop, I just didn't want anyone to get the upper hand by my lack of knowledge!
Thanks again"

i'd run a 19 but either wi

i'd run a 19 but either will do. 19 will just give you a little more top end. If you do more of the ski'n/wakeboarding thing then maybe the 17. Just a guess.

Back