Logo

Mercruiser Alpha One not comparable

eastcoastz

"Hi, This is my first post. I

"Hi, This is my first post. I own a 19.5ft Bayliner Capri 1998 with an Alpha One 4cyl. This weekend I met another guy on the lake and he has the same boat to a tee same engine same year same length. I found there was a significant difference in the amount of power his boat has to mine. I have a 19p 4 blade prop he has a 19p 3 blade prop but even when I had the older prop on the boat which was the same as his I still find that his boat has more power on take off and in general the boat pulls harder any advice on what I should start with before taking it into the local boat shop and spend big $$$"

Greg.
Look at what gear set e

Greg.
Look at what gear set each boat has in the upper drive.
Ths should be stamped on the left side of the drive as you are looking at it.

Are both boats turning the sam

Are both boats turning the same rpm? Is the bottom on both boats clean?
Even if all is the same sometimes one may just run better.

"You said that you tried chang

"You said that you tried changing the prop and they still were the same. The other boat was faster than your boat or did I miss something. What about the prop? If his is geared different it will not run the same as your boat. He can be under or just on the power band. You may be over it. It can go either way. His could be tuned different. He may have less hours and a engine in better condition.
It can go on forever.
Unless you check everything(compression,gears,timing,jetting,plugs,wires ,cap, )and anything else to make sure they are true twins ,you may never know why one is faster.
Heck you may have had a full tank and he was almost empty. Maybe just may be,that he has splitfire spark plugs and chrome molly rings."

"lol, charli...very true

Gr

"lol, charli...very true

Greg, why would you spend big $$$ just to have a boat as fast as your friends? If your boat runs good with no problems then you shouldn't spend big money on it. Also, he could have the LX and you have the L model. Different heads. Not sure if that was an option in 98."

I know you guys are right I sh

I know you guys are right I should be happy that the boat works properly but I would just like a little more pull out of the hole for wakeboarding you know its a guy thing more power huhuhuh!!

"funny. reminds me of a guy i

"funny. reminds me of a guy i knew that had a GTO. Opon seeing one just like his burn rubber for at least a block, he looks down and quietly says, "damn. mine won't do that"."

Back