Logo

Merc 30 hard to start

zoselly4

merc 3.0 hard to start
. runs

merc 3.0 hard to start
. runs great when its running but hard to start warm or cold. best chance of getting it to fire is to just turn key in short spurts in neutral.
need
guess im n ot sure if choke is working correctly or if its just not getting spark. sorry for lack of info any suggestions will help
thanks

"Paul
Sounds like I would sta

"Paul
Sounds like I would start by checking for good spark at the plugs, and see if you have plenty of fuel coming out of the pump. Could be it is not getting enough fuel."

"Cold: In the morning, check

"Cold: In the morning, check to see if the choke is closing by pulling the flame arrestor off and pumping the gas a few times. The choke should snap closed. Most likely (from what I've seen) the linkage is sticking and needs cleaning.

Hot: Since the carb sits atop the EXHAUST manifold, heat causes it to 'percolate' after a long, hot run. Gas boils in the carb and floods into the engine, turning into something that doesn't burn well--a varnish-like stuff. When you try to start her you have TWO problems: That flooded junk, and an empty carb. Both take some cranking to overcome.

Here's the Fastjeff Never Fail Cure: Soon as you finish a long, hot run, crack the engine cover at least 6 inches to let the heat out, then let her idle for a minimum of 5 minutes before shutting her off. That lets the exhaust manifold (with carb on top) cool off.

Jeff"

Back