Logo

Couple Questions

maharms

"My prop clicks when you free

"My prop clicks when you free spin it? What wold cause that? Also it is a mercruiser alpha one 190 what should the operating temp beon a intercooled engie, itruns about 180 no wake and 195 operating speed? Also what pitch prop should be used on it? right now it's a 19 pitch. And last would the clicking keep the engie from going over 3,300? Thanks"

The porp should not click in n

The porp should not click in neutral. Forward & reverse only in one direction and not turn in the other.
Operating temp is ok.
I'm not sure off hand the max rpm of the engine but 3300 is a bit low for any sterndrive. The prop has to much pitch keeping the rpm down if all else is correct with the boat.

"I started boat and put in for

"I started boat and put in forward and then reverse then forward, now clicking has stopped. Could I have a linkage problem, and it normally runs over 3200, but last night when I had it out after a 20 min ride thru no wake it would only go to 3200. Could the motor have loaded up during no wake? or could that bepart of the linkage? It also clicks when i put it in reverse.

Thanks"

If this is a mercruisr it is t

If this is a mercruisr it is turning way to fast at 5500rpm. Most run at 4500. You had better find out what the max rpm for the engine is.
At 5500 it will not last long if the max is 4500.
If you need to drop to 4500 from 5500 the go up to a 23 pitch prop to start with.
I'm not sure of all this. One time it is 3300 then 3200 and now it did run at 5500 at one time.
It's all over the place. Take it in for service.

"I have this engine. the norma

"I have this engine. the normal operating RPM is between 4500-4800 according to the owners manual with the boat. I run a 21 pitch (from the factory) and have ok hole shot for skiing and for a 19.5 foot boat it goes 45 mph so cruising is more than fine. Keep in mind the lower pitch prop, the higher rpm you will get so be very carefull with the 19. my temp hovers at the same as yours 175-185. the last post is correct for the clicking noise. you should only hear it in gear and it should only spin in one direction.
no guess on the sudden drop in the RPM's though def call a shop for that.

Good luck"

"Thank-you so much, i have ord

"Thank-you so much, i have ordered a new prop at 21 pitch, and you say it pulls a skiier fine and a tube? Thank-you for your help. My boat runs alittle warmer, but it might have something to do with the prop being underpitched. Thanks, also anyother feedback you can give me i would gladly take."

Back