Logo

Merc 30 help

slydell711

"I just purchased a 1989 18ft

"I just purchased a 1989 18ft Century Bronco Bowrider. Apparently one of very few on the planet. It's got a Merc 3.0IO (135-140hp).
I just put a new prop on it and have done a once over on fluids, belts, plugs, and wires. I can't seem to get the boat over 30mph. I figured the boat to be able to go around 40mph. If anybody has any ideas on how to get it there, I would love to hear them. Thanks"

"the pitch of the prop may be

"the pitch of the prop may be the problem. If not then when you have it wide open, play with the trim. Slightly up from the bottom usually will be about the best. Also, your wot rpm should be around 4600"

"Isaac,

I have a 1985 Centu

"Isaac,

I have a 1985 Century Bronco with the 3.0 and run a 14 1/2 x 17 prop at 4600 rpm, with a full tank of gas and 260 pounds of me it gets 38 mph"

"sounds like my problem....I b

"sounds like my problem....I bought a clean 1985 170 4winns open bow 140mc and something is wrong, i'm am going to plug,wire,oil,it thurs,I hope it helps- I can only get 3200-3600rpms, should get 42-4600rpms manuel says.It has 19-degree prop, is there a fuel filter in gas tank? I did the carb one. ANY IDEAS?"

you may have a crack in the sp

you may have a crack in the speedo line. It runs off of water pressure. The connection is half way up the stern drive on the side closest to the transom. There is a plastic connector for the line that can twist and be disconnected. Just take a look at it. A pressure loss will make the speedo read less than actual.

"I had to put on a new plastic

"I had to put on a new plastic connector on it when I bought it...I did trim the hose a inch. But I realized something today....
light_bulb.gif
the back latter steps are down! dah.. I'm sure that doesn't help any. tune up tomorrow...i'll let you know if it works. (I'm new at boating here)"

"hey midnight, where did u get

"hey midnight, where did u get the plastic connector? Got the part number? I need a new one too."

"I got it at Bertha boatworks

"I got it at Bertha boatworks in MN 1-800-450-4100 or 218-543-6848, new plugs and wire's helped but...I must have a carb issue, it idles fine but the jets must be clogged, I used carb cleaner today but it still isn't getting the rpms it should.what should I do? rebuild or new carb"

almost sounds like a vac leak

almost sounds like a vac leak sometimes....any 3.0 merccruiser motor heads here?

Back