Logo

Volvo 270 leg which water connector

schredder

"I am trying to solve an air l

"I am trying to solve an air leak issue at the clamshell hose connection on my 270 leg... I recently installed a new hose connector.. the Sierra part with the two hole flange (18-2777). I purchased this two hole connector because of the OEM number for the 270 crossing to this part.

However, the corroded part that was on the drive was the six hole flange hose connector (18-2778). From what I can tell, the major difference in these two hose connectors is that the six hole flange has a larger center hole.

I think this is important, because in a previous post I mentioned that I noticed that my water tube moves around inside of the intermediate housing when the drive is move side to side. To me this indicates (I cannot see one) that my upper pivot bushing is missing. I am wondering if someone used the six hole flange water connector a bandaid fix for this (to prevent air leaks)?

Thanks,"

"When they first made the 270s

"When they first made the 270s they were intended for 4 and 6 cylinder in-line engines, and the cooling pipe attached to the transom shield used to be 3/4". The higher-powered V-6 and V-8 Ford and Chevy engines required more cooling, so the cooling pipe in the transom shield went up to about 1". Therefore, my guess is that the larger center hole in the 6-hole hose connector is meant to accomodate a water flow roughly 75% higher than the one required for smaller engines. Regardless, the 18-2778 6-hole hose connector is supposed to fit either 270, 280 and 290 legs. The difference is that in some 270 models the hose connector is installed pointing to the left (port side) this is why the 6-hole pattern in the "universal" hose connector.

I can see the possibility of air ingress if your upper bushing is missing. A proper repair would consist in dismantling the intermediate housing and replacing the missing bushing. However, I think you may get away for the time being by sticking a thin o-ring or a bead of sealant (Sikaflex, silicone, etc) between the water tube and the fork."

"hmmm... thinking through this

"hmmm... thinking through this one, trying to decide if I should/makes sense to purchase the six hole flange hose connector (I do have a pleasurecraft 302).

Don't both the six and two hole flange connectors have the same size of hose connection for the S- hose? If they do, the flow potential should be the same...

Anyway, thanks much for insight!"

My AQ130C with a 270T has a 6

My AQ130C with a 270T has a 6 hole water coupler. My thoughts was that the part was used on different models requiring the part to be rotated on an angle with respect to where the water hose connected to the drive mount on the transom.

An added benefit of the "s

An added benefit of the "six holes" is that they make it more difficult for the gasket to "squeeze out" if you overtorque a bit the cap screws.

Back