Logo

4 Days of Trying and still no go OMC 76L Out Drive Reinstall

b2c2hinkle

"I am exhausted, and mentally

"I am exhausted, and mentally drained. I purchased a 1988 four winns that is in excellent condition (been in storage 15 years), When I purchased the boat the outdrive was off. Well, everything has gone great on restoring this boat EXCEPT, I can not get the outdrive to go on the boat. I get it all the way were the studs just start to go into the holes on the outdrive. The spline is engaged into the motor, but i can not push it the rest of the way in. I thought that alignment might be an issue..does this sound correct or am I missing something. If it is alignment issue does anyone have any tips and how I can get it aligned. I have no way of lifting the engine (unless I take it to a shop $$$$$) Its a huge big block ford 360hp. Anyone that can help explain in some level of detail what I need to do, I would be very thankful
happy.gif
"

"You need an engine alignment

"You need an engine alignment tool. The original OMC or even the newer Mercruiser does the job. Adjustment is normally (for vertical correction)made by the adjustment nuts on forward engine mounts. Note that what have altered the alignment may have been the way the boat has been supported during storage, and may change when the boat is put in water. Running with wrong alignment may ruin the fly wheel coupling and stern-bracket bearing."

"Its been on a trailer the ent

"Its been on a trailer the entire time. On the forward engine mounts, are you refering to the top nut either tightening or losening that? by forward mounts I have one on each side about the half way point on the motor. Is that the spot?"

Take it to a shop. You cannot

Take it to a shop. You cannot aline the engine without the proper tools and knowledge. You say $$$$$$$$$$$ but what is your time worth . 4 days?
It is a 1 hr. job.

"Thanks to all. No one around

"Thanks to all. No one around here works on OMC seems its all outboards. I found a guy who can do it (retired), but does not have the alignment tool. I just bought one via internet so problem is hopefully being solved. Thanks again everyone.
wink.gif
"

"Just remember not to put too

"Just remember not to put too much lube on the O rings as they will stick and don't have any spline grease on the very tip of the driveshaft as it will try to compact it but you can only compact it so much inside the coupler and then it will feel like it's stuck. Also if it's an older style bellows they seem to be a little smaller than the new aftermarket ones, sometimes the u-joints can hang up inside, some grease on them can help and once your close use a long thin screwdriver to try and turn the shaft to line up with the coupler (this is after you ensure the alignment is OK)"

Back