Logo

Timing adjust 30L Volvo

tracep

I have a 1998 Volvo 3.0L The b

I have a 1998 Volvo 3.0L The book says I need a special tool to plug into the distributor to set timing. So I took it to the dealer and $93.00 later it runs like #%*!. Is there a way to time it without this tool? Can I pull the rubber cap and ground one of the leads. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You dont get much at the deale

You dont get much at the dealer for $93. Suggest you take it back. Why are you setting the igntion timing anyway on a 98 with no points? What other work was done?

"I replaced the head gasket an

"I replaced the head gasket and pulled the dist. to check for wear and paint the block. The dealer had it twice but like most places you go to, the techs work on comission, so get it in and get it out, if it is fixed or not. Does anyone know if this engine can be timed without the "Special Tool". Thanks for the help!!"

"It sure is maddening to get c

"It sure is maddening to get charged for making things worse! Some engines need the ignition grounded (or whatever) to set the base ignition timing (ie: at idle). However, if you are up to a bit of math, and some minor work, you can get the timing perfect for a mimimal outlay of cash. The trick is to time the engine at high rpm, which is the most accurate way of doing it.

First of all, find the timing marks. If they are on the damper pulley (probably) measure the outside diameter of the pulley and multiply this figure by 3.14. That will give you the perimeter of the pulley. Divide that figure by 360 (degrees) and that's the distance around the pulley per degree. Next, try to find out what the timing is at FULL advance (around 26 to 30 degrees). Multiply the degrees you need by the perimeter measurement, then mark the pulley at that distance. Then, with the engine in neutral and turning about 3,000 rpms, set the distributor at that mark. (While you're there, see that the advance is working properly--the mark should jump ahead as you rev the motor, and dart back as you idle it down.) Don't have a timing light? You can buy one at Harbor Freight for minimal cash--well under 30 bucks.

Jeff

PS: This is hte method used by all good engine tuners: drag racers, NASCAR, etc."

Back