Logo

OMC Shift Cable Removal off b79 800 stuck

gallipoli

"I'm going through the boo

"I'm going through the book on getting my outdrive off the boat. I disconnected the remote and outdrive shift cables from the cable converted on the intermediate housing, but how do I get the cable out of the intermediate housing?

It won't budge and if it did, there is still a 1 inch by 1-inch brass nut on the end of the cable. I see the two "PUCKS" but this brass nut won't come off and the cable won't go through the transom. Is there a retainer somewhere in the inetermediate or upper?"

"To get the cables out:
Push

"To get the cables out:
Push in the cable and insert a pin in the hole almost where the cable enters the cable fix. Un hook the cables from the converter wheels and arm. Carefully pull out the pin and release the locking spring just underneath and pull out the cable, take off the square brass tube that the cable coes throug, and You are left with the cable only, no nut or whatsoever that may prevent it from being pulled theough the transom.
Note that the cable may be rather stuck in the transom"

"Thanks, Morten. I did as you

"Thanks, Morten. I did as you instructed but it won't budge in the transom. It's STUUUCKKKKK.

I broke off about an inch off the end of the rubber cable insulation twisting off the square brass tube. I dug out the rubber and got the cable free. I removed the retaining nut on the wet side of the intermediate (good thing I found it).

I sprayed liquid wrench and even pulled with a vice grip w/a towel on the cable.

Do I give it the tug of war until something comes out or breaks? Any other ideas?

I thought about removing the outdrive and pulling the outdrive for more leverage."

"Unfortunately that cable gets

"Unfortunately that cable gets totally stuck in the transon unless pulled a bit out and Sealing compound is applied every year! Cutting an drilling out from the outside may sometimes be the only way to get it out. Any dammage to the rubber with water leaking into the cable will lead to water in the drive! It is all Your cchoise, kep on spraying for the next months to come or just brutal force and new cable. As Uou have allready shortened the rubber on the inside, You are already in need of new cable, you will never get the right cable tension again!"

"So, there's no way around

"So, there's no way around it, my cable is shot?

I might as well cut it and take it out piece by piece, huh?"

I guess I'll cut and drill

I guess I'll cut and drill it out.

Now I have some engine work to do. It took salt water in Hurricane Katrina and I'm hoping after sitting for a few months in diesel and marvel mystery oil hopefully it'll come loose and not need a complete rebuild. The valve cover looks good but she was FULLLLLLLL of water.

Back