Logo

Power steering pump question

D

Don Cobb

"My boat has twin Mercruiser V

"My boat has twin Mercruiser V8's. Each engine has a power steering pump, but only the starboard engine is connected to the steering rack. My question, is their a way to connect both pumps so that if I only what to run one engine, or heaven forbid I lose one, I still have power steering. It seems odd to me that one is not connected to the steering system atall."

Don.
If you are a good plumb

Don.
If you are a good plumber you can do this but only one pump can be on line at a time. You need a cross over valve of some type that can switch from one to the other. What is the other pump doing if it is not connected to anything?

Currently it's not being r

Currently it's not being run by the drive belt. My thought was some sort of proportioning valve to help manage the added pressure from the other pump.

Don.
I guess that would work

Don.
I guess that would work but I do not see what you would gain. The problem that I see is the 2 pumps using the same fluid supply.
If one pump should have some kind of problem and put metal shavings into the system the other pump will pick this up and will not last long after it does.
Just me but if you are concerned about one only one pump being used then change off pumps every other year or so.
The GM power steering pumps do not go bad very often. I've seen only a hand full in all the years that I've been working on vehicles and boats and that's a lot of years.
The ram or control valve assy would be of more concern than the pump.
Just keep clean fluid in it and you should never have any trouble with the pump or the rest of the system.
There is a product that is named Trans x made by KW.
This is a great product for keeping the system clean and the seals soft. This product works.
If the fluid smells burn or it not nice and pink (unless clear fluid is installed) then add a few ounces of this product run the thing for a few hours then change the fluid.
Add about 2 ounces of the trans x and you're good to go.
If the system is clean then add about 2 oz to keep the seals soft.

"Just to pile on here. The eng

"Just to pile on here. The engines come "dressed" from GM and Mercuriser with pumps... but only one is needed. Keep fresh pink ATF in the active pump (regular Dexron Mercon works). There will be plenty of stuff to fix on your boat, Don. I wouldn't even consider such a project.

My thoughts."

"Have to agree with Mista Hays

"Have to agree with Mista Hays!

If you decide to run only one engine,,run the one that has PS pump working. If that engine quits you'll be able to manage to "get in" without P. steering and stiff steering will be the least of your worries at that time.

Bob"

Thanks for all the input. Davi

Thanks for all the input. David is right I enough "other" things to fix..

Back