Logo

AQ103c Blowing oil around oil pan

wa2kjc

"There seems to be a fair amou

"There seems to be a fair amount of oil coming from around the oil pan gasket, tightening doesn't take care of it. There is also smoke coming from the breather pipe up to the carb cleaner.
I performed the leakdown test, from cyc 1 to 4, 70,70,70,60 psi. I then performed compression check [may have cleaned any oil from rings] again from cyc 1-4, 150,153,155,90. Prior to the helpful advise on this board, I beleive I got 160 aprox on 3 and 170 on one. I have tried the magic oil treatment but doesn't seem to do alot.
What do ya think, time for a teardown and rings ?
Anyone had experience with this, should I be prepared for over size ?"

"Clearly, combustion gases are

"Clearly, combustion gases are finding their way from the combustion chamber to the engine crankcase. It seems to me that either cylinder 4 has a perforated piston, broken piston rings, or excessive cylinder/piston rings wear. I'm afraid it's time to pull the engine out and strip it. The action to take afterwards will depend on what you find."

"Start with the head. No4 cyli

"Start with the head. No4 cylinder often gets valve problems vhen the manifold starts leaking, and I doubt You have the original on. If ring/piston dammage/leak oil in cylinder would have improved the reading.
However Your rings have probably lost their tension and Your cylinders may be in shape of Your bathroom mirror, but it all depends on how much work and $$$ You want to put into it."

"I put oil in the cylinders an

"I put oil in the cylinders and the readings went way up, the #4 went from 90 psi to 160, the others went from 150's to 200's.
I could feel a small amount of air coming out of the breather hose when I did the leakdown test.
Anyone feel like a boy scout ? Guess it's time to bite the bullet. Thanks for all your help."

Back