Logo

Need some real good advice ASAP

roc2it

"I was out on the river and th

"I was out on the river and the engine started tapping. We were at about 4800 RPM. Within seconds I had pulled back and got the boat slowing down. By the time I got her stopped the lower part of the motor was knocking loud and running real ruff. When I looked at the engine there was extra water in the engine compartment. I took it over to a guy who was recommended to look at the boat. He thinks that the motor needs replaced. The motor had 210 Hours on it ans was always taken care of and winterized and stored inside for winter. Hell, the boat never saw rain. It was never hot even at the end of all of this. Before I take it to the dealer where should I start looking for a motor for this. I was told 2500 plus labor. I was also told that it has 190 HP and that I might find a good engine that has 210-220 hp that would be better? Mine is carburated and I like that idea better than fuel injection for maintenence. Let me know any suggestions and anything that you guys say will help. Thanks again, Rocco PS Is there an awesome place in Illinois that can handle all this from start to finish with no problems and a warrenty?"

"What motor size do you have n

"What motor size do you have now a 4.3L V6? What is your out drive, Alpha One? Bravo? Engine choice will be somewhat limited by your out drive gear ratio, unless you want to do both. What is your Make Model, Year and length of your boat?"

"Yes, I have a 4.3 Vortec V6 w

"Yes, I have a 4.3 Vortec V6 with a 4 barrel carb. The outdrive is an Alpha 1. My boat is a Crownline 1996 18 foot Bowrider. Once again, thankyou....."

"Well, others may disagree but

"Well, others may disagree but I would rebuild that motor by boring it out .30 over and going with a nice forged piston. On the valvetrain add 1.6 roller rockers (Stock are 1.5) ($150-200), upgraded camshaft ($175), double roller timing chain ($50-75), hardened pushrods ($65) and a Edelbrock #2114 intake ($230) You can use the same outdrive. That will get you to your HP goal I believe without a drastic increase in fuel consumption. These parts are not radical, simply what should have been there from the factory. IMHO

If you want to go radical, do the same to a new or reman 305ci (max with that out drive) or add a stroker kit to the 4.3L which will take you to a 305cid, (but stroker kits are not cheap)."

"Can you please give me the nu

"Can you please give me the numbers and name brands to these parts so that I can price them then call the machine shop. Any idea why this engine went? And do you know of an actual shop that deals specifically with this exact kind of stuff in Illinois or Iowa? Thanks, Me"

"Rocco, You could google a rem

"Rocco, You could google a remanufactured 4.3L long block. You need to choose one from the same range of years as your original motor, since they have changed(i.e. Vortec in early 90s)It might be much less $$ then Bill quoted. The motors are not too hard to install(4 bolts, 6 hoses, 5-6 wires, fuel line...). A longblock will require you to reuse your manifolds, carb, fuel pump, distributor, ignition system, oil pan and timing cover, harmonic balancer and perhaps valve covers."

"Chris you are right, it would

"Chris you are right, it would cost less. But it will not reach the HP numbers. He asked for an upgrade to stock.

Rocco, consult with Crane Cams or Comp Cams on their tech lines for camshaft options... remember to tell them it is a marine 4.3 Vortec with a balance shaft and you want more HP/Torque. They sell the rocker arm and the pushrods too. The timing chain can be had there as well or just look up Melling Timing Chains on the net. Remember the valvetrain is the same on the 4.3 and the 5.7 (350) Vortec, minus 2 cyls.

Why the rod failure? Got me. Engines are mechinical beasts that need 10 psi of lubrication per 1000 rpm as a rule of thumb. Personally I think your WOT rpm is to high (but at the top of specs). Id put more prop under her and take WOT to 4400 and enjoy the speed. My .02

Here's some links...

http://www.cranecams.com/

http://www.compcams.com/

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/eb30431.htm"

The 4.3LX puts out 205 HP. The

The 4.3LX puts out 205 HP. The 2 BBL is 190. Your Alpha 1 is probably 1.84:1 ratio.

You can get a reman from Jasper and they do make them to marine spec. I repowered a bunch of boats with Jasper motors and had no problems at all. They ran great.

"Just got off the phone with J

"Just got off the phone with Jasper, they no longer build hp 4.3s I am waiting for a call back from the local machine shop on a rebuild price. Jasper wants 2600 for a reman. Let you know what the local machine shop says....."

Rocco.
This just my opinion b

Rocco.
This just my opinion but buy a new engine and forget the rebuilding. Add this add that put in this take off that. Who the heck is going to calibrate the thing for you? How will you know top rpm and is it going to idle under a 1000 rpm with all that stuff in it . All for ten or 20 more hp? That will make the boat do about 5mph more. Maybe.
It sounds as if you were over reving with the last one. At 4800 and hit a wake and grab some air now it's over 5000rpm easy.
You can buy a brand new engine for around 3000 complete top to bottom not a rebored 30 over pos That may hold up and may not.So why would anyone spend the same on a guess?
As I said Rocco this is just my opinion.

Boat on.

Thats cool. I am just checkin

Thats cool. I am just checking around to see what my options are. The machine shop said all stock to specs they would rebuild my engine for 1600. That is a lot cheaper than 3000 considering that I left a messege at Grace Marine where I bought the boat and they have not called me back for a day and a half. Just need to find a place that comes recommended by many and that I can trust. Have not really found a great boat shop yet. Let me know anyone if you truelly have a boat shop around the QCA area that is really trustworthy. I would travel and take it somewhere distant within reason if I knew they would take care of my boat and not rip me off.

"Rocco, that IS a great price.

"Rocco, that IS a great price. Hope you are on the water again real soon.
"

"Hey, we are gonna go with a

"Hey, we are gonna go with a Jasper Engine after all. I have heard nothing but good with them and a local mechanic is gonna change it for me. I have to takethe back of the boat apart for him and he said that he wou;d change it for 450 dollars. Is there anything I should do besides order it with the new water pump? Let me know thanks... Rocco"

"Rocco, The question is, who

"Rocco, The question is, who removes and installs the intake and exhaust manifolds, timing cover, valve covers, carb, water pump, oil pan, starter, alternator, slave solenoid, distributor and ignition system? Does the mechanic do that for the $450?
In any case good luck with it. I narrowly avoided that scene with my 4.3LX. I ran it without engine oil 3 seperate times, and it still runs well. A bit down on power, but I'm not complaining."

Found out why it blew. There

Found out why it blew. There is a water hose that runs from the wall of the boat to the engine and rubs along the side of the block. It rubbed a hole in it and froze the motor up. Damn thing touches the engine. Bad design!

Back