Logo

Where should Water exit drive on a Alpha 1 1987

vkeiper

"I just bought a 1987 18ft Ebt

"I just bought a 1987 18ft Ebtide with a 165 3.7L Mercruiser Alpha 1 drive.
I am in the process of tuning up and going over before putting it on the water for the 1st time since I own it. This is my 1st I/O system.
When I have started up to test run with the "Muffs" on I noticed the water was not coming out of the middle of the prop, but from where the rubber boot section is. I think those are called the bellows. I dont see a hole in them, but I assume the water is supposed to go through there to cool the lower unit, is the water supposed to exit the center of the prop?
I did a quick visual and I only saw one rubber boot about 2 or 2 1/2" inch in diameter and it seemed to be intact, but the water was hot (from leaving the heat exchanger ) and pouring out from the area where the boot was and not the prop, so I figured I would ask before tearing anything apart.

On my outboards the water came out a weep hole in the side of the lower unit. I dont see any holes on this drive.

Thanks,
Vince"

You need to replace the exhaus

You need to replace the exhaust bellows. They crack over time with heat. This can effect performance on the water. Probably inspect the rest as well.

I posted the same question on

I posted the same question on another site a few days ago and a very reliable tech said with the muffs on this is normal.

"The water exiting from the mo

"The water exiting from the motor will be close to the temperature of the motor (140 degrees on raw water cooled motor, higher on closed cooling motor). It will exit from the base of the gimbal ring (idle relief ports), and perhaps the prop hub. You motor sounds normal to me."

90 percent of the water will e

90 percent of the water will exit below the gimbal (right at the transom). some will probably come out the prop too. Very normal sounding to me.

Back