Logo

440 chrysler water in oil

B

bob dice

"what should my check list sta

"what should my check list start with for looking how the water got into my oil? step 1,2,3. before I spend a lot of money."

1. Check out the exhaust syste

1. Check out the exhaust system.

2. Change the oil and try again--it might be simply moisture in hte motor.

3. Compression test to see if a head gasket is blown.

I'd do # 3 first.

Jeff

"I am new to this board but a

"I am new to this board but a long time 440 owner and A&P mechanic. It can be tough to locate water leak, the only way it can come from the manifolds is to run down a valve port and past the rings, more likely is leaking head gasket or timing chain cover, compression test may not find problem as the water can get from a water passage to an oil passage. In a car engine we would pull the pan and pressurize the cooling system and watch for leaks but that isn't an option in a boat.I would pull the heads and replace the gaskets, that way you can look at the manifolds as you take it apart, these engines are simple to work on.

Dan"

"Dan:

Boat engines work HAR

"Dan:

Boat engines work HARD and love to blow head gaskets, so a comp check is usually worthwhile. The joint between the manifold and riser is a CRITICAL joint--a water leak here will end up in the cylinder via the nearest exhaust valve. That gasket needs to be perfect. Both of these things should be checked before pulling heads.

Jeff"

"I agree that joint is critica

"I agree that joint is critical and in the past have had a machine shop run the manifolds on a surface planer to clean up the surface. I have never seen a 440 with a blown head gasket (lots of Chebys) but it sure is possible if someone runs it with bad fuel, too much timing or used a auto head gasket instead of the marine ($$$$$) stainless part.

Dan"

Back