Logo

Mercruiser 165 alternator battery

malina

"hey, i have a mcm 165 inboard

"hey, i have a mcm 165 inboard 1987 -serial number b6476610- and i have two concerns...

the battery isn't charging and i'm not sure why

i'm not sure if there's an alternator...if there is one, where is it?

thanks"

Julijana.
If the alternator i

Julijana.
If the alternator is not on the front of the engine driven by the belt then it is built into the engine behind the lower pulley. If it has the second type there is a external voltage regulator on the right side of the engine as you are facing it. This regulator is water cooled if it is there so look for water hoses going into and out of a black box with wires going to it. This regulator does fail often. But so does the alternator. Good luck.

"Careful, that regulator is 40

"Careful, that regulator is 400 retail. They make after market kits to convert that engine to the external style gm alternator far cheaper and the diy person can install it. As well there are tests you can do to isolate the stator and regulator."

Take Harves' advice and co

Take Harves' advice and convert it. Mercruser has ripped people off for years with that dopey setup.

Jeff

"I just bought a conversion ki

"I just bought a conversion kit also, now if the alternator goes its less than $100 to replace.

My regulator fried when a friend was trying tohelp me out by putting a charger onto my boat before came home, so we could leave when I got home......Guess what that regulator does not like being connected to a charger. Thats what friends are for...Oh well its fixed now

These kits range from $230 to $500 (I went with a $250 kit from a guy in Texas) It did take some tinkering to get it to fit with my engine cover and I had to lose a cup holder, but very worth it."

Back