Logo

Help help help please anyone out there

jasonmax

I just acquired a campion 24 f

I just acquired a campion 24 footer boat with a Volvo penta with 350 Chevy in it. Its a 1980 boat with a 280 leg.

I am having a hard time getting any speed out of it. I got the carb rebuilt and with that I am getting better speed now but not sure that’s all I am supposed to get. Before it was running around 5mph. Now with the rebuilt carb its going around 20mph.

Can anyone tell me what else I should be doing? Should I be changing or fixing anything else.?

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

"First, have you checked the c

"First, have you checked the compression in the engine? Also, it would help knowing what AQ model is it and what carb do you have installed (e.g Rochester, Holley, 2 or 4 barrel, etc)?

At 5 mph your boat is not planing, but it is at 20. Are you keeping the trim pin in the transom shield in the forward, middle or aft position? Normal position is middle, and occasionally forward.

Also, have you checked if the ignition timing is correct? Should be about 6ºBTDC at idle and 30º at 3000 RPM."

good advice on the timing Mr.

good advice on the timing Mr. Pescador. Last used boat I bought(bought used from an individual but he had had a dealer tune it up) had the timing set at 8 degrees AFTER instead of 8 deg before TDC. It was a dog. 35mph before and 49-50 after I reset the timing.

Back