Logo

87 OMC 50L

C

Craig6

"I have an 87 Bayliner with a

"I have an 87 Bayliner with a 5.0L that has a cracked block and is missing the outdrive. Can I swap it out with a chevy 350 and just change over the other components? I have the option of getting a 302 block, but have heard mixed opinions. Also, would the outdrive from a 1988 (5.0L or 5.7L)work?"

Craigo.
If the engine that yo

Craigo.
If the engine that you have now is a chevy then the 5.7 will bolt right in. If the engine is a ford then you need to stay with ford unless you want to change a lot of parts. 302 & 305 are both 5.0 models.

"The drive is no problem. Prov

"The drive is no problem. Providing as mentioned above both are GM, remember the carbs (jets) are different. Running 305 carb setting on a 350 will except for lack of performance, result in lean burning with valve dammage as first break down."

"Thanks, the engine is definet

"Thanks, the engine is definetly a chevy, so I am going with the 350 (5.7L). I had spoken to a mechanic and he mentioned the 350 was built a little heavier than the 305 and is more reliable. With the current price of gas, what kind of enhancements can be done to maximize fuel economy?"

"..."Providing as mentione

"..."Providing as mentioned above both are GM, remember the carbs (jets) are different. Running 305 carb setting on a 350 will except for lack of performance, result in lean burning with valve dammage as first break down."

Not necessarily true. The jets are probably close enough--hell, running that carb on a 454 would also be okay.

Jeff"

"4BBL may not be too bad if he

"4BBL may not be too bad if he does not go on the limit, 2BBL I would not recomend! Have seen to many 'mushroom' valves in my time, and the fuel quality of today does not make the situation any better."

"I need help! I need the tune

"I need help! I need the tune up specifications for omc 5.0 liter (chev) 4 barrel carb 1988. Timing, points setting & dwell, plug gap, idel RPM. Thanks Tim"

"I'm not sure that I agree

"I'm not sure that I agree with the 350 being better built than the 305. Just make sure the engine is a marine engine not a car engine. Boat crank,cam, valves & springs,freeze plugs,forged rods & flat top pistons. As for the jetting you may need to try several times before you find the correct calibration. One size up from where you are now is a good start.
How much fuel it will use depends on too many things.
Size of the boat,how it is operated / used.
But one thing foresure it is not going to be a VW bug when it comes to fuel.
As for valve wear,as long as you have hard faced valves and seats they should be fine.
I also had many valves fail over the years and most were old valves made for leaded fuel.
When run on nonleaded at high rpm they just did not last."

Back