Logo

Outdrive problems

projector163

"This is my 3rd season with th

"This is my 3rd season with this boat, second year I did'nt fill the outdrive full after changing lube. First time out 06 I got out on Lake Erie I locked up the outdrive. Place I had fix it said I wasted 2 bearings in the uper drive and had wear on the gears from the age and lack of lube in outdrive and recomended a rebuilt upper outdrive for $2400 or replace bearings for $500, saying could last for 6 months or 15 years, did the bearings ran fine after fixing bearings. I then changed the cap,rotor,points,and condesor and when I ran at full speed for about 10 minutes would lose power, and hear a rattling noise. I let off the throttle for a minute or two give it gas and repeate the proscess, then 2 weeks later coming back about 6 miles out I hear a thumping noise from the back of the boat every few minuets.I get to the dock and in nuetral I hear rattiling noise and a thumping noise every so often. I have a 1987 bayliner cierra with a 5.0 motor and a omc cobra outdrive any help would be greatly apreciated"

"Seems to be time to have anot

"Seems to be time to have another look at the drive. If being ran without oil in upper unit You did not only dammage the bearings, but most probably even the gears.Even the aluminum housing probably got deformed!"

"Since the noise starting I ha

"Since the noise starting I have been thinking I should be getting a complete rebuilt oudrive, or should I just get a rebuilt upper drive like the mechanic recamended?"

"That depends of the present c

"That depends of the present condition of the drive, but perhaps a complete unit may be the best. It depends a lot on Your mechanic, his qualifications and ability to perform a correct evaluation and repair of Your drive."

"I bought a upper rebuilt driv

"I bought a upper rebuilt drive, tried taking the lower drive off with drive still on boat and it will not seperate. I loosened the 4 bolts in front of the drive and removed the zinc anolde in the front. I didn't want to force it off. do I need to remove the whole drive? or am I missing a bolt.
thanks for any help"

Drive must off the boat due to

Drive must off the boat due to shoft rod.
You may have forgotten the bolts under the trim tab.

Back