Logo

Mercruiser horizon 74 mpi stalls when docking

S

searay400dancer

"Help! i have a 1998 Searay wi

"Help! i have a 1998 Searay with twin Horizon 380 HP 454 mag engines. They start and idle great, and run smoothly, but when docking and shifting the starboard engine often stalls. It starts right back up, and has not stalled a second time during that docking sequence. The engine is warm, and is usually idled in for about 5 minutes before reaching the dock."

"Check the adjustment on your

"Check the adjustment on your cut off switch,it is suposed to stall for a second when shifting from foward to reverse. sounds like the switch is staying depressed for to long and stalling the engine."

"It is right by you shift cabl

"It is right by you shift cable mounting plate,on the engine.It will be a black switch with a metal lever or a grey switch with a black button.you should have no problem finding it."

"I have V-drives, I am told th

"I have V-drives, I am told that I do not have this switch, and it is only on I-O's"

"..."I have V-drives, I am

"..."I have V-drives, I am told that I do not have this switch, and it is only on I-O's"

Correct! I suspect carb adjustment (idle and/or idle speed too low). That assumes you don't have EFI!

Jeff"

"Wwll, I do not have carbs it

"Wwll, I do not have carbs it is a 1998 boat, they are MPI!"

Back