Logo

Water leak

R

robert finn

"Don't know if anyone can

"Don't know if anyone can help or not. I just picked up an 87 Imperial with a 3.0 liter Merc I/O. It was sitting a while, but I have it running. The problem is when I hook the hose up to the outdrive, the water not only comes out the exhaust but it also leaks out the bottom of the engine when I look at it from the front of the boat. I am assuming that it may not have been properly winterized. Any idea what kind of cost will be involved to fix leak. It does not appear excessive, but is definitely there. I have been told something about some rubber caps on the under side and then someone else said the engine could be cracked since it is a sealed unit. I am a novice boater so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance."

"Robert,
First check for wate

"Robert,
First check for water in the oil in the engine. If there is no water in the oil there could be hope. You need to locate where the water is coming from. It may have been winterized and the block plugs were left out after the block was drained or a hose is loose or removed. Some people leave drain plugs and water hoses off after draining the system."

If the engine was not winteriz

If the engine was not winterized. It may have popped a freeze plug out or cracked the block.

"So if there is no water in th

"So if there is no water in the oil, then the block is not cracked and could possibly just be a hose or a freeze plug, right?"

the block can absolutely be cr

the block can absolutely be cracked without the crack penetrating the oil system. Hope its a hose or freeze plug.

Back