Logo

1988 75L King Cobra dies when coming off throttle after cruise Wonbt idle warm

bmlawless

"When coming off of cruise, th

"When coming off of cruise, the engine dies when the throttle is cut all the way back. This occurs whether I pull it back immediately or slowly. It usually dies right away, but sometimes it will run for 30 seconds to a minute before it dies. During this period, it surges and barely runs. I have tried running the blower when coming off plane to bring fresh air into the engine compartment but it doesn't seem to make a difference. When re-starting, the engine turns over easily but does not start. When I do get it started, I have to give it enough throttle to maintain 2000rpm or higher to keep it running. To get the boat moving, I have to engage the transmission and hit the gas. If I wait a while, the engine will usually fire right up and run fine. I have never let it idle long at this point as I wanted to get it moving ASAP. This occurs at altitudes from 2800-5800ft. where the boat has been running for five years.

When cold, the boat starts easily and idles smoothly at 800rpm. I have left it idling at the dock for 10-15 minutes easily and it doesn't seem to have a problem.

Whether the engine is cold or warm, it will run perfectly at cruising speed. Power and acceleration are normal. Even when restarting after it dies, it responds normally to throttle input.

I have been able to create the problem once or twice while idling along at 1200-1500rpm, but only after running this way for 30 minutes or so minimum.

The boat started doing this last year. For personal reasons, the boat had only been used a handful of times for two years, so I assumed it was bad gas. The boat has always been winterized professionally including fuel stabilizer. I can't swear to it, but adding octane booster seemed to make the boat run fine. I have been through several tanks of fuel this year, so I think the bad gas is gone. I have refueled at three different locations and I have been using 89 octane as indicated by a decal on the engine.

My gut feeling is that I have a leaking float in the carberator, but I wanted to get some feedback before I tore into it.

Thanks in advance for the help. If there is any more information I can provide, please let me know."

"Carb trouble. It's eith

"Carb trouble. It's either flooding (probably) or out of idle speed/ idle mixture adjustment. You can tell if it's flooding by turning the idle screws all the way in (hot, idling). If the motor dies, it's NOT flooding; if it keeps running, or speeds up, it's flooding.

Jeff"

Back