Logo

Messed up wiring What the

"Okay, this just isn't mak

"Okay, this just isn't making sense to me but on my AQ130C with the points still in place, the wiring runs from the ignition directly to the coil. Someone before me then ran a wire from the same side of the coil to an electric inline fuel pump (replaced mechanical altogether) and then spliced the same hot wire to a ballast resister, then to the bottom connection on the alternator. Being somewhat mechanically inclind, I still cannot figure out why they would do this. Any ideas? Runs good on the hose but not real sure why they have wired to alternator like that."

"The installation is correct,

"The installation is correct, provided you have a 3 ohm coil (internal resistor) and no resistor before the coil. Beats me why someone installed an electric fuel pump, but I guess the mechanical pump broke and they are not cheap to replace (like anything from Volvo that you cannot find aftermarket). The resistor before the alternator is supposed to limit the excitation current to the alternator so that it cannot backfeed to the ignition coil after you turn off the ignition key and keep the engine running."

It should stop when you turn o

It should stop when you turn off the ignition.

"It stops when ignition is off

"It stops when ignition is off, and providing they used a pump with timer function as used on the newer engine, it will stop after 30 sec after the generator stops. It should have 12V from generator field outlet to operate, but be able to run engine 30 sec on starter before it shuts off after ign is on. Another question is if the pump has a pressure shut off system! I have unfortunately seen to many of theese homemade electric fuel pump designs where cheap solutions have been used. May work in cars, but may be a really "North Korean rocket" in a boat!"

32 I think it was if the news

32 I think it was if the news here is correct!
However what goes up normally comes down again so let us hope Jim keeps his lifewest on!

LOL. Actually I believe that

LOL. Actually I believe that the one that was installed is a continuous run. I will have to check. I bought the boat and the previous owner times two set the electric fuel pump on it. The gentleman I bought it from had medical problems right after buying it and could no longer use it. no longer use it.

Back