Logo

I am what engines and gears to use on a 1954 chris craft

G

grega

I have a 1954 chris craft cor

I have a 1954 chris craft corsair 40ft. The entire cabin was removed from the gunnel up. I am turning it in to an open launch. I'm not sure what power to run any comments would be appreitiated

"Greg,

You might have to gi

"Greg,

You might have to give us some more information.

Was it a twin engine installation? Do you want to go back with twin engines? What diameter wheel?

When you say you are turning it into an open launch, it makes me think "slow speed". Are you interested in speed, economy of opertion, low initial cost,...?

Sounds like you will be looking for a used engine(s), and might be limited by what is available too. If you are looking for slow speed, single engine, I have a six cylinder Buda.

Give us some more info and hopefully someone can help.

Regards,
Andrew"

" Andrew,
I haven't chec

" Andrew,
I haven't checked the prop size yet. Before I had the boat it had twin 440's with a 2.5 to 1 gear ratio. I would like to cruise at about 20mph and I'm not sure what it will take to move it at that speed. Much of the weight has been removed when the cabin tops and walls were cut off. I've been told many peoples opionion on what to use. anything from 318's to 440's. I guess more directly my question should have asked would 360's with a 2.5 to 1 gear ratio put me at the speed I am looking for. Also where can I find some reliable used power of that nature.
Thanks,
Greg "

Back