Logo

Pea Green soup

chris_rohde

Contributing Member
"I checked the level in the ou

"I checked the level in the outdrive a couple of weeks ago before I took it out. Level still looked good, right where I would have filled it to. The gear oil (yes, I know it's not supposed to be gear oil), still looked clear. Drained to refill with engine oil today and it came out looking like pea green soup. Still smelled like gear oil and I did not notice any oil/water seperation in the pan. The oil was last changed 5 years ago and it has only been taken out about 5 times in the last 3 years. My question is would 5 year old gear oil look like this -OR- did water get in my outdrive. I did notice today that one of my o-rings did look like it was past it's prime, but I do also use teflon tape on the bolt threads. I replaced all of the O-rings (drain plug,fill, and dipstick) this time."

"Did you use synthetic or mine

"Did you use synthetic or mineral gear oil? It does not take much water to emulsify mineral oil, and for what you describe yours was emulsified. If you are going to use gear oil rather than engine oil, perhaps you should stick to synthetic."

Probably mineral. It wasn'

Probably mineral. It wasn't nearly as expensive as synthetic. I put 10-40 synthetic blend in the outdrive today. I just didn't know any better back then. From what I understand the 80/90 stuff I had in there just causes harder shifts.

"It should shift with a bang!

"It should shift with a bang! I You get a 'soft' shift, the cone has difficulties breaking the oil film and will soon be polished!
However if the 'bang' is to hard, take apart the upper unit and change the wear-ring and two half circle rings at the bottom of the primary shaft, check clearance at the top nut, and change that one to the right thickness.(The nut istelf is a shim).
Finally the higher idle, the harder shift!"

"Well, if you are only using 2

"Well, if you are only using 2-1/2 quarts of oil every 5 years you surely get a good value for your money, even if you decide to use the most expensive synthetic oil available in the market.
wink.gif
"

"It does shift hard, mostly in

"It does shift hard, mostly into reverse. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it do complete the repair you just described? The idle speed is about 600rpm. I'm hoping that with the 10-40 it will shift smoother before I need to try that repair.

You're funny El Pescador. I think I'll be changing it at least once a season now and will probably run full synthetic every time. The 80-90 was a rookie mistake!!!
wink.gif
"

"How difficult depends if You

"How difficult depends if You may manage to unscrew a left threaded nut! When the drive/upper unit is off, it takes 10 minutes. You simply take off the upper part of the drive, the top cover (4 screws), the shift mechanism (4 screws), put it in a vice to hold the lower shaft (protect the splines), unscrew the top nut, (the most difficult as it is left threaded),
drops down the primary shaft, change the ring and the two halves, put up the shaft, torque the nut at the top (again problem as it is left), measure the clearance between nut and top of bearing with a feeler gauge (if wrong new nut in right thickness must be installed). Put in the shift mechanism, unit onto the drive, top cover and drive back on boat! When You take the drive off to check the bellows and water hose next time (once a year?), You have done 80% of the job!
It will probably take You longer to read about it in the manual than do the job.
I used to charge my customers one extra hour in connection with normal service, but that included deglazing the steel cones in the gears and change of all seals in upper unit!"

"just removed aq131a from 1987

"just removed aq131a from 1987 glastron. there is a bracket sticking out from transom area that supports back of engine ,there is a rusted fabric rubber type material on the end that supports the engine ,what is it?also how hard is it to replace complete u joint assembly of a275 drive had to cutjoints to remove engine ,yoke is still on engine. thanks"

"Tony:
I got the e-mail notif

"Tony:
I got the e-mail notification about Your problem, but it is not here!
However I answer it anyway. Have You got 'pea soup' in the drive, change of oil type is not the right way to go, but change of seals!"

Back