Logo

MD11C lots of white smoke and loss of power at 1700 RPM

javsail

"My MD11C has been spewing mor

"My MD11C has been spewing more and more white smoke recently which I suspect is unburned fuel. When I tried to take it past 1700 RPM today it wouldn't respond. It stayed at 1700 and I was able to push the trottle all the way to the stop without any change in RPM. As I did this I noticed that the exhaust water turned a darker color and there was a lot more smoke, but still white.

Other that this the engine runs smoothly (doesn't appear to mis-fire) and starts easily. I should also mention that I have an injector that leaks a small amount of fuel from the top cap. It has leaked for for almost 1000 hrs. I have had this injector serviced 2 years ago and it still leaked when I reinstalled it."

"White smoke is normally a sig

"White smoke is normally a sign of lack of cooling water. I suspect the cooling system need a real cleaning. Check the exhaust mixer innlet and outlet. Backflush the cylinders by unscrewing the drainplugs and install a hose nipple. Do not fill Your exhaust system and engine when doing this!
As for power loss, check your propeller for barnacles and dammage, fuelfilters etc."

"I have recently flushed the e

"I have recently flushed the engine and it is running at normal temperature. I have had cooling problems in the past that I can resolve with a cleaning and flushing of the cooling passages.

The differnce here is that I can not get the engine to rev past 1700 RPM, which I had always been able to do at times when the engine ran hot."

"The white smoke is depending

"The white smoke is depending on exhaust temp and amount of water. It may be enough to cool the engine, but not quite enough to not be 'steamed' by the exhaust.
All Volvo diesels smoke 'black' at full speed, it is more or less their trade mark. In Scandinavia whenever You se a boat with 10" rubber hose attached to the exhaust outlet, You know it is a Volvo inside!
As You do not seem to have an abnormal amount of black smoke, Your engine for some reason lacks diesel. It might be filters, fuel feed pump or injection pump. It may even be the pressure valve at the injector, but You said they had been tested not too long ago.
Test by putting the return line in a container and start. If the return stops, you have fuel delivery problem. If return keeps on comming but not rpm, You most probably have either injection pump problem or injector problem."

"ran into this years ago. chec

"ran into this years ago. checked injectors, and they were O.K. after much frustration, pulled the heads and the injector seals were streched. injector stream was hitting seals, resulting in bad pattern. big clouds of light smoke and fuel in exhaust. if H2O flow and temp check out, check your injectors. bad spray pattern, low pressure could play a part."

Back