Logo

AQ130C and Pertronix electronic ignition

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
"First post here...

I have

"First post here...

I have an AQ130C with an OEM Bosch points type distributor. I would love to convert this to an electronic ignition. Has anyone converted their AQ130C with a Pertronix kit? If so, which Pertronix model (the AQ130C is not listed in their application guide). Any installation issues or tips? Will I be able to use my existing coil?

Thanks!"

"The last 4-cylinder Volvo I d

"The last 4-cylinder Volvo I did was an AQ140A. The installation is straightforward and takes about 1 hour and you can still use your same coil, wires, rotor and cap. The Pertronix kit number for Bosch distributors in OHC engines is 2842; however, I strongly recommend that you contact Pertronix first to confirm which is the correct kit for your application. Their phone number is: (909) 599-5955.

Check this link:

http://pertronix.com/ptx2005_cat/ptx05_marine.pdf

The first thing you will notice after the conversion is how easy the engine starts and how steady the idle timing is; you may want to check this last item with a timing light before and after the conversion, you will be pleasantly surprised.

One thing to remember: if there are 3 wires going to your alternator, do not remove the purple wire, which sometimes is connected between the + of the coil and the alternator."

just changed mine over saturda

just changed mine over saturday...runs great!
had to use a shorter screw for the clip that holds the cap on as it iterfered with the module bracket and shorten the leads requiring 2 additional crimp spade connectors

"Bruce, was this on an AQ130C

"Bruce, was this on an AQ130C with a Bosch distributor? If so, what Pertronix model did you use?"

mine is a 1974 aq130c as well.

mine is a 1974 aq130c as well. bill with part# is100 miles away at the cottage. 1/2 hour max to install. check the website for part #. says fits all 4 cyl. with Bosch ignition. Distributer # listed did not match mine so i called to confirm before ordering.Took 3 weeks to get[maybe because i live in Canada eh!] but never have to worry about points again.

"The ignitor number should the

"The ignitor number should then be 2842, and you should be able to obtain it from any autoparts store (they can order it for you basically overnight). Bruce, next time try Lordco, that's where I got mine last time.

One suggestion, since it seems that the Pertronix kits are gaining popularity amongst Volvo Penta 4-cylinder engine users, perhaps marineengine.com should start stocking them and selling them through their site? For some reason, those kits do not seem to be included in the Sierra catalog. Andrew, just a thought.
wink.gif
"

2 questions...what temp should

2 questions...what temp should this engine run.
mine runs at 190 but the thermostat is a 140
2nd question even after pertronix installed i still have backfire through front carb on decel and sometimes stalls trying to idle...i think it's carb related

"190ºF sounds a bit high for a

"190ºF sounds a bit high for a raw water cooled Volvo engine. Make sure your exhaust manifold is not choked, the pump impeller is in good condition and that the hose connector in the leg is not perforated.

Regarding the second question, I agree, it sounds like either your front carb needs cleaning/adjustment or your carbs need to be properly synchronized. You can do a basic synchronization by following the instructions in the Volvo owners manual (downloadable from the Volvo website)

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/operators_manual/

Hosever, I recommend that you get a uni-sync vacuum gauge and use it for synchronizing the carbs. The Seloc manual covers the process."

"El Pescador, is a uni-sync va

"El Pescador, is a uni-sync vacuum gauge something that I can buy at a standard auto parts store? I've always done a pretty good job getting the carbs in synch by using the standard idle/mixture screw settings as a starting point and then fine tuning while closely listening, but it would be nice to know that they are truly in synch with one another."

how does the guage attach? I d

how does the guage attach? I don't think the carbs have a vacuum port you can tap off of.
El Pescador could you call me @ 1-800-661-4042 ext.6482...i have some other questions and you seem quite familiar with these engines

"Bob, I got mine from an autop

"Bob, I got mine from an autoparts store and it is relatively inexpensive (around $25). You can also get them at e-bay, just type <font color=""ff0000"">uni-sync</font> to search. The ait flow meter comes with easy to follow instructions.

I, too, thought that I was doing a good job synchronizing the carbs by ear in my AQ140 until I got the uni-sync gauge and I could see the difference in air flow between carbs.

I would advise you to get a copy of the Seloc manual (even if borrowed from the library or other source) because for Solex downdraft carbs you need to make an adaptor to use the uni-sync gauge, as it will not fit otherwise. The adaptor that Seloc recommends is simply an empty 3-pound coffee container in which you cut a hole in the bottom to fit the uni-sync gauge. The inverted coffee container will fit on the top base of each carb. The manuals explains the procedure very well."

"Thanks El Pescador. I checke

"Thanks El Pescador. I checked eBay and found these:

http://tinyurl.com/f9ucn

Is that what you use?

I've got a Seloc manual somewhere...I will check it out.

This electronic ignition deal almost seems too good to be true, but it sounds like it is worthwhile."

"Yes, that's the one. Afte

"Yes, that's the one. After you try it, I would be curious to know how out of ballance you found your carbs. Maybe you can post the results here? Same with the Pertronix kit after you install it. As I said, I know first hand how well the Pertronix electronic ignition system works, but it is always good to get feedback from other users."

"I'm not sure when I will

"I'm not sure when I will be doing these things because my engine is running so good now and with it being in the middle of the boating season I hate to jeopordize a good thing. But on the other hand, if that electronic ignition conversion is as easy as it sounds, I could probably be convinced to do it sooner than later. In any case, I'll be happy to share my experiences here."

"I broke down and bought a Per

"I broke down and bought a Pertronix conversion kit this week (P/n 2842 $65 from Warehouseautoparts.com) and am planning on installing it tonite. Any last minute installation tips or suggestions? Looks simple enough but of course will bring my points with me on my first trip with it installed, just in case it idles fine in the driveway but does not do well under load for some reason with it installed.

Thanks!"

"The installation is straightf

"The installation is straightforward, so I don't think you will have any problems. Just make sure you check with a timing light the way the engine idles before and after you install the kit. I'm sure you will notice a big difference.
biggrin.gif
"

"Yea, it looks pretty straight

"Yea, it looks pretty straightforward to install except the part that has you checking a gap between a 2nd spacer plate you install and the magnetic sleeve. I was expecting, based upon the instructions on the Pertronix site (the instructions I rec'd with the unit are slightly different than those), that you just install the ignitor plate where the points were, put the sleeve on the cam and route/attach the wires accordingly. Still, should not be a big deal. When you say I should notice a big difference, will it idle much smoother than before?"

"You just have to set the gap

"You just have to set the gap between the module and the magnetic sleeve with the plastic gauge they supply (I think it is 0.030"), and that should be a one-time adjustment. When it comes to idling, you should see the timing mark exactly in the same spot all the time with the Pertronix ignition kit installed , while with points it usually varies a few degrees either way.

Have you already synchronized your carbs as well? If not, the best time will be after you install the new ignition kit."

"Thanks. No, I have not synch

"Thanks. No, I have not synched the carbs yet...as you suggest, will see how things are after the new ignition kit install."

"In digging into this deeper,

"In digging into this deeper, I wonder if my OEM coil is a 3.0 ohm coil or not? Pertronix says that is a requirement. I'll be sure and measure it's resistance before doing the install. Worst case, I'll buy a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil."

"You should be able to use a c

"You should be able to use a coil with internal resistor (3 ohm) and remove the external resistor you probably have currently installed, that's what I did with my old AQ140A. Personally, I did not feel like spending the extra bucks in the Flame Thrower coil and matching set of ignition wires, so I cannot tell you first hand how well the Flame Thrower coil will work in a 4-cylinder Volvo application."

"I am pretty sure there is no

"I am pretty sure there is no external resistor there now. This is the first time I've had to pay any attention to the coil and what's attached to it, etc. on this boat so i could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing anything in the coil/distributor area that looks like the pics I've seen of external resistors. But in a few hours I will know for sure!
light_bulb.gif
"

"The wiring drawings for the A

"The wiring drawings for the AQ130C call for an "advance engaging resistor". This is to facilitate the starting without resistor and not to burn the coil after the engine is running. You should be able to modify this arrangement by just installing a coil with an internal resistor, which should have at least 3 ohm resistance. You will also notice that starting the engine is much easier with the Pertronix ignition kit installed, so you will not need an external resistor any longer."

"Checked the coil resistance..

"Checked the coil resistance...3.5 ohms so I think I'm good to go. Found out I had two leads already attached to positive side of coil (one to alternator, another to starter) so I had to go out and buy some piggyback connectors so I could attach the Pertronix module's red lead to the postive side of the coil as well. Will try and finish up the project tomorrow morning before heading out for, what hopefully will be a good day on the water using the new ignition."

"Show stopper <[img]"http://ww

"Show stopper
stop.gif
problem encountered after getting the module all but installed...

The Ignitor's magnetic sleeve does not go far enough onto the distributor cam to allow the rotor to go into it's fully down position on the cam and then of course, the distributor cap won't go on. I've tried everything...the magnetic sleeve is either too tall for this distributor or the sleeve's cam mount pattern is too small for this distributor's cam.

Guess I'll call Pertronix Monday...
sad.gif
"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
thumbs_up.gif
Well, foolish me did not apply enough pressure to the magnetic sleeve and once I applied a little bit of "elbow grease" the sleeve slid on all the way onto the cam like it should. Live and learn..."

"Back after a successful outin

"Back after a successful outing with the new ignition installed. Boat ran as good as it ever has...starts quickly, idles and runs great. Aside from the he installation "issue" mentioned above (all my fault), installation was easy. If you're on the fence about converting your older Volvo to electronic ignition, these come highly recommended from me after just one day out using it. Thanks El Pescador for all of your help! For that, I give you a gold star!
star.gif
"

"I'm glad you liked it, Bo

"I'm glad you liked it, Bob. You will also notice that your boat starts flawlessly even in humid conditions. I hope you will enjoy the Pertronix kit for many years to come and that it adds some extra spark (pun intended
biggrin.gif
) to your boating days."

Back