Logo

Reverse only Oh Crap

powerwe

"Well, my '78 Cruiser with

"Well, my '78 Cruiser with a Merc 260 performed beautifully the entire trip to Flaming Gorge, then as I was manuvering onto the trailer to go home the gears somehow stopped working. Long story short, I only have reverse and even when I push the throttle forward in nuetral the boat drives in reverse. Since I've had the boat I it has been difficult to shift out of each gear, but only when in the water. I've been told that it may be the dog clutch but wanted to ask around here.

Help me with my money pit."

"most likely a cable problem.

"most likely a cable problem. take it loose at the engine and see if you can move it by hand. could be either cable, or control, so check all."

"What is it with the Gorge any

"What is it with the Gorge anyway? I had just about the samething happen about ten years ago. On another subject of the Gorge,are there any new places to get fuel these days? Last time I was there it was one end or the other.
Hope you find the cause.
Oh, mine was the lower shift cable."

"This is a guess, But I have h

"This is a guess, But I have had the same thing happen to me. The motor was not as old as the one you describe, but it may still be applicable. The cables from your helm throttle will connect to a bracket on the engine (usually mounted on the exhaust riser, but sometimes elsewhere). This bracket acts as a pivot point for a second cable that leads to the drive for selecting between forward and reverse. If the nut vibrates off the end of any of these cables, or the bracket become loose or dislodged, it defeats the pivot and you will be stuck in whatever gear you were in last, sometimes unable to even return to neutral. Before you spend any big money, check your cables and bracket as this fix cost me less than 50 cents."

Thanks all. I appreciate your

Thanks all. I appreciate your help. I will be checking back to let you know what happens. And yes there is still only gas at each end of the Gorge and ten gallons was about $50.00.....

Back