Logo

Engine Coupler Replacement Issues

invader

"After having the engine coupl

"After having the engine coupler replaced on an 1989 Mercruiser 120HP 2.5L engine, I started hearing a light knocking or clicking sound coming from the engine block area. As the RPMs increased (whether engaged or not), the clicking sound would speed up. After 2 hours of use, the clicking got louder. After 4 hours of use the clicking got really loud until the engine just stopped. I could not turn over the engine. What could the issue be? Are there any issues that could come up from not lining up the engine properly when re-installing the engine that could produce this result?"

"Yes,The engine alignment is v

"Yes,The engine alignment is very important. You should have returned the boat long before it stopped working. I would have to say that any damage is your fault now. Other than that,Try and remove the outdrive from the boat. Remove the 6 nuts that hold it on,remove the pin from the trim cylinders on the drive,put shifter in forward. Pull the drive off. If you are not a big person get help with this. It's heavy. If it will not come off the drive shaft is in a bind in the coupler. Bad news. The only reason I'm having you take this off is to tell if the drive has a problem or the engine. If and when you get the drive off see if the engine will now turn. If it will the drive has a problem. At least you will know where your problem is before you take it in. Before you start all this drain some oil out of the drive and check for metal or water in the oil. Check the engine oil for the same as well.

Doesn't sound good but I do wish you luck."

"Everything "NOT ME" s

"Everything "NOT ME" said above but add a broken connection rod You know it will not turn in one Direction, try to back it up with a screw driver at the flywheel only move it one or two inches if it moves ROD TROUBLE"

""Not Me" - The good p

""Not Me" - The good part about this is that I did stop by the marina to have the mechanic listen to the noise before it got to the point that it did. He said that it sounded like the water pump bearing and thus he thought it had nothing to do with the Engine Coupler replacement work he did. He said not to worry about it as long as the engine temp was under control. I didn't get very far from the marina and it died right in front of the marina on the way back in. I was able to check the pump with the tools I had and it was just fine. It is in the water at that marina now, so I can only hope he has some sympathy and will pull it out so he (or I) can take off the outdrive. Hopefully the mechanic will help me out since it was not the best advice. Something tells me that I might have ROD TROUBLE. I wish I had the equipment to pull the engine and work on it. Since I don't...sounds like the boat morge. Thank you for the advice."

"Oh- So my follow up question.

"Oh- So my follow up question...if it is an issue with the drive shaft (or rod trouble), could it have been from the mechanic not replacing the engine properly when replacing the engine coupler?"

Back