Logo

No forward or reverse

G

Garrick Fafard

"I have a 1986 Searay with a m

"I have a 1986 Searay with a mercruiser 170 hp/Alpha I stern drive. When I tried to go forward, the engine revved but did not move. I put it in reverse and it started going forward.
After that I turned it off and restarted it a few times but nothing in either forward or reverse. Any Ideas?
Thanks for the help!"

"Yes it could be a broken or w

"Yes it could be a broken or worn shift cable. If the boat has not had the cable replaced since new this would be the place to start. Check that the cable is moving where it connects with the cable from the remote on the left side of the engine as you are looking at the engine. If it is,remove the cable end that goes down to the outdrive from that mounting point. Trim up the drive. On the front facing side of the drive where the upper and lower units meet there is a place you can see the shifter for the lower unit. Take note of the placement of the shifter then move the cable and see if the shifter has moved. If not the cable is bad. You might be able to move the shifter by hand if you can get at it to make sure the gears are working. Turn the prop while trying to shift it. If the prop stops when the shifter moves then it should be ok. Turn the prop clockwise and turn shifter to the front for forward. The prop should turn counter clockwise and make a clicking sound in forward but not turn clockwise. Move the shifter the other way for reverse turning the prop counter clockwise while moving the shifter. Again the prop should rotate oneway and make the clicking sound but not turn the other way. If the shifter will not move the cable could be bound up and holding it.

If the cable is not the cause then check the coupler at the rear of the engine. Easy enough to check this. Is the engine getting hot? Can you hold your hands on the exhuast manifolds? If the engine is getting hot the water pump in the lower unit is not turning. This can be from a number of things. But from what you said it sounds more like the shift cable. It is a very good idea to replace all the bellows at the time you service the cable,unless you know they have been replaced in the last few years. This is your call.If the gimble bearing has not been changed for many years,this should be replaced as well. There is a fair amount of labor involved in changing the cable. Most of the other items need to be removed to replace the cable. May as well replace them while you are in there and then your good for another ten years or more. Good luck."

Back