Logo

1988 74L Bravo 1 Thunderbolt IV ignition

muddslinger

Can anyone tell me the timing

Can anyone tell me the timing procedure for this engine? I believe that there is a wire that needs disconnected or grounded to set the base timing on this engine but I cannot seem to get it right. I not at all familiar with this setup as all of my other boats have had either points or non-vac advance HEI dist. Also how in the world does the rotor come off the reluctor wheel? Seems as if it is screwed on from underneath? I can tell you that it will not just pull off. This is carbeurated.

Base timing is done at Idle. I

Base timing is done at Idle. It it wise to use a tack other than the one install on you boat (can }be off by 20%)Just get a idle and warm engine and set the base...Only EFI engine need a wire removel

"The rotor will pull off, BUT

"The rotor will pull off, BUT first buy a new one it will sometimes be distroyed in removel."

Thanks I am using the tach on

Thanks I am using the tach on my timing light. The engine is removed from the boat for this since there is NO way to do it in the boat. I just would like to make sure it is right before I reinstall it.

Yes i have a new one I just di

Yes i have a new one I just didnt want to destroy the reluctor wheel just incase. I may have to break it off the shaft.

Back