Logo

Plugswirescap and rotor

chris_rohde

Contributing Member
"I am going to get rid of the

"I am going to get rid of the points system with the Pertronix stuff but I want to know if I am o.k. to get the automotive plugs, wires cap and rotor or if they have to be a marine version. It's an AQ225E (Chevy 5.0l 305). Also, my local shop said they could not find a fuel filter for my boat. Anyone have a part no. for an 86' Bayliner with the 225E? I know it's not the spin on oil filter type or one with a water seperator. If I remember right it's a fiber one that fits in a canister that unscrews. It's been 5-6 years since I last changed it. 2-3 of those years the boat never moved.

Was busy having kids.
crazy.gif

Thanks in advance!!!"

"There is no difference betwee

"There is no difference between "automotive" and "marine" plugs, wires, cap and rotor (the distributor is another matter). They all should work fine with either a Pertronix or points distributor.

Regarding the fuel filter, I would get rid of the old stuff and install a water separating type. The whole kit costs around $40 and is far more efficient than the old felt type."

""Regarding the fuel filte

""Regarding the fuel filter, I would get rid of the old stuff and install a water separating type. The whole kit costs around $40 and is far more efficient than the old felt type."

Oooohhhh... Now you've got me hooked. That sounds like something I would definitely like to do. Do you have a manufacturer or part number? If you can tell me where to get one, I'll bet ya I get one today!!!"

"I replaced the stock felt fue

"I replaced the stock felt fuel filter with this kit and it was super easy. I also mounted it in a different location which will make it super easy to change filters when I need to. Love it!!!

Now for that Pertronix ignition...

Bye,Bye Points!!!
biggrin.gif
"

I have the same motor as you a

I have the same motor as you and have been thinking about switching to Pertronix also.
I'd love to know how you are making out.

Ordered the kit and waiting fo

Ordered the kit and waiting for it to come in right now. I'll keep ya posted.

I should ask you where you ord

I should ask you where you ordered it from and what part # was used. The pertonix catalogue lists only '77-82 Volvo Penta ?

I ordered mine off of ebay. I

I ordered mine off of ebay. I think it was $71 or $80 with shipping. My distributor takes the 1582 model that says 77 to 82 also.

On your dist. there should be a number that starts with the letters "IBM" get that # off your dist. and call Pertronix. They will give you their correct part no. They will also tell you who sells them in your area. Good Luck!!!

"I also own a 1985 bayliner-pe

"I also own a 1985 bayliner-penta 225e .
Trying to find an oil filter. HELP
By the way , thanks for posting the previous website...."

I use a fram. Can't rememb

I use a fram. Can't remember the part no. I think I just took it down VatoZone and matched it up with the Chevy 305. I think they're all pretty much the same. You may have to find a shorter one if the stock one won't fit for clearance reasons.

"BTW... That fuel filter setup

"BTW... That fuel filter setup kicks butt and the Pertronix is finally in, so maybe I'll get it put on in time for a late September or October lake trip."

"I have had some 'bad'

"I have had some 'bad' experiences with the Fram oil filters, slightly humidity in the oil and they collapse and block the oil totally."

"On the Mastercraft forum, the

"On the Mastercraft forum, there was some discussion in the past regarding oil filters and there was a link to filter tests, which showed Fram to be below the others in quality. NAPA Gold was one of the best, WIX was near the top, too. AC filters were near the top as well. I have a 5.7L in my Chevy Silverado and use the AC PF-1218, which is the full sized version. If there's room for it, the larger filter element does have its advantages."

Back