Logo

Battery wont charge

Try testing the stator and rec

Try testing the stator and rectifier. You'll need a ohm meter for the test.

"ordered a new rectifier today

"ordered a new rectifier today........when i first got the boat, i disconnected the battery, to see (like a car) if it would charge.......guess i blew a diode?"

"Connect a volt meter set at i

"Connect a volt meter set at its lowest reading or an amp meter between the positive battery post and the normally connected cables.

You should obtain a voltage reading, possibly extremely slight, but still a drain (short).

Now, you can start disconnecting wires/components, viewing the meter closely until the reading drops to zero, at which point you've located the drain source.

You can check the rectifies as follows:
(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately."

Back