Logo

A130 switched to A125B

biggerd

"We bought a 1974 Glastron wit

"We bought a 1974 Glastron with a AQ125B. Unfortunately, the 270 that is in the boat went with a 130 motor - not the AQ, so.... the exhaust is a HUGE problem. (the 270 is different for the 130 and AQ). Does anyone have a solution? We've been everywhere and nothing. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Can't get it in the water yet!"

"You will have to replace the

"You will have to replace the section of aluminum pipe attached to the bottom of the transom shield for another one that aligns with the exhaust manifold in the AQ125. These pipes are very common. The only problem is that you will have to remove the engine and bellhousing to exchange the pipe. Unless you can figure a way out to use a 45º elbow attached to two sections of exhaust rated rubber hose to plumb the AQ125 exhaust manifold to the existing exhaust pipe, I don't see a way around. Personally, I would get the right exhaust pipe for your current engine."

"Been trying for a week to fig

"Been trying for a week to figure a way around it and am unable. It's two sharp turns in a very, very little space. We got a hold of a dealer and the part(s) is $160.00 (and 3 hour round trip drive). Have not messed with volovo motors before so, if you don't mind what does it take to pull the motor to put that peice in?"

"BigD, the first thing I think

"BigD, the first thing I think you should do is to get a copy of the Seloc or Clymer manual for your engine.They sell for around $30 and they contain step by step information for basically anything you need to do with your engine or outdrive.

In your case, you have to put the boat on a trailer and secure the engine if it is not supported on mounts. Then, remove the leg, remove exhaust and u-joint bellows, remove the 6 bolts on the flange in the outer side of the transom plate that keep the bellhousing in place, remove the fuel lines, disconnect all necessary wires, then you are ready to lift the engine once you have unbolted it from the mouts (if it has mounts). Then you can remove the exhaust pipe, which is attached to the transom shield by 4 screws accessible from outside the boat. Make sure you install new o-rings for the 4 exhsut scres, as well as the large or-ing in the middle of the exhaust pipe. Coat them with "perfec seal", "aviation gasket" or similar product, and make sure that the area in the transom shield and in the exhaust pipe around the o-rings is smooth an free of corrosion.

The job is not as hard as it seems, but it is definitely tedious."

"Forgot to add, you also have

"Forgot to add, you also have to disconnect the water suction line from the transom shield prior to pulling the engine and beelhousing together."

"Sorry so long to respond. We

"Sorry so long to respond. We did buy the part. It came right out with just the 4 bolts, but .... putting it back in was a little more difficult. We did not have to pull the motor though. I really appreciate your advice. Took it out on the water FINALLY. It runs good. When running it wide open, it's running hot though. Any ideas? Again, thanks."

"I'm glad you managed to r

"I'm glad you managed to replace the exhaust without removing the engine with the bellhousing. Did you have enough space to have a look at the bottom area of the transom shield? Sometimes they get wasted away due to electrolysis in the area close to the exhaust pipe.

If the engine is running hot, the first things to look at are the water hose connector in the leg (the most likely source of air ingress if it is corroded) and the pump impeller. If both are OK, the other three likely sources of the problem could be the strainer by the heat exchanger being choked; the heat exchanger being choked; and the exhaust manifold being internally corroded and full of scale."

"Not sure what the "leg&#3

"Not sure what the "leg" you mentioned is. Everything else is good.

Also, is there an impeller in the lower unit or just the one one the front of the motor by the water pump?"

"BigD, the "leg" is th

"BigD, the "leg" is the jargon for "outdrive" or "sterndrive". There is a hose connected to a connector in the intermediate housing that resembles a thermostat housing, like in one of the links:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2777&returntopage= 80240788.htm

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2778&returntopage= 80240788.htm

Remove the hose and make sure the connector is not corroded. If it si in bad shape, replace it.

No, there is no impeller in the lower unit."

Back