Logo

Yamaha F80 rectifier meltdown

flaman

"My 2000 Yamaha F 80 rectifier

"My 2000 Yamaha F 80 rectifier appeared to short and got so hot it burned plastic. brought it to local dealer and they want $2500 to fix it! It burned the charging coil wires, ECU, wires,plastic and who knows what else. Is this a common problem? I'm pretty handy, is this something I should attempt to fix myself? I called Yamaha customer relations and they said they have had no problems with this part. Are they telling me the truth? Help?"

"Andy,

Just had the rectifi

"Andy,

Just had the rectifier on my port 2002 F225 4 stroke melt down.

Engine has about 1145 hours but has been well maintained.

Was wondering how long it took you to get parts? Did they explain to your satisfactionwhat caused the melt down.

Please let me know.

Rob"

"Haven't bought the parts

"Haven't bought the parts yet. Yamaha is denying there's a problem, but someone on another board had exactly the same problem on the same engine. Sound suspicious ? Anybody else out there with this problem?"

"My rectifer melted on June 8t

"My rectifer melted on June 8th. It has taken the dealer 3 weeks to tell me what I told him, the rectifier melted along with part of the wiring harness. Parts are not avaliable until JULY 18th.

Is any one else having a problem getting parts from Yamaha?

Is anyone else haveing electrical or corrosion problems with their engine?"

I met someone at the Bermagui

I met someone at the Bermagui (Australia) boat ramp today who said the rectifier in port 100hp carbie fourstroke melted down destroying his electrics - that was after only 200 and something hours ... he said the dealer knew of other cases.

I have a 2005 100hp Yammie but its fuel injected - hoping I never had to go through a melt-down

Back